Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Me and my Android  (Read 4011 times)

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
Re: Me and my Android
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »

Anyone who has a US based GMail acct (but in the UK) have any luck with getting Google voice to work here? I just bought a Wildfire the other week and was hoping to use it to call home for free.... (Also family doesnt use SKYPE, so its not an option for me)

You can't link it to your UK phone number, but if you have a data plan on your phone, you can use either the app or the webpage to send and receive sms. Also, if you use Chrome on your computer, there's an applet for the taskbar for Voice so you don't have to keep the page open to text with people.  Gtalk will use your Voice number to call people in your address book, assuming you have a microphone.

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
Re: Me and my Android
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 10:44:25 AM »
Nope.  I haven't checked in a while, but I seem to recall you need a US phone to make this work.

I can send/receive text messages for free via GV. I'm pretty sure GV requires credit to make calls.

You can't link it to your UK phone number, but if you have a data plan on your phone, you can use either the app or the webpage to send and receive sms. Also, if you use Chrome on your computer, there's an applet for the taskbar for Voice so you don't have to keep the page open to text with people.  Gtalk will use your Voice number to call people in your address book, assuming you have a microphone.

Thanks everyone.
Wasnt aware it had to connect to a phone number (I got a popup a while back to try voice, but didnt click it because thought it was VOIP based). Oh wells.

I still need to figure my phone out and tweak it to my personal tastes.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab