Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Phone companies??  (Read 799 times)

• Liked: 0
Phone companies??
« on: August 25, 2010, 02:47:08 PM »
Hey, I'm going to be studying in London for a year this fall, and I'm planning on setting up a UK cellphone. I'm asking for advice on what to expect from which companies (who has the best/worst customer service, IYO best value, etc). I'm thinking of a pretty basic package, just calls and texting, and maybe internet access if its offered.

Also, I'm not sure whether to go prepaid or not. ???

Thanks!

Re: Phone companies??
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:23:55 PM »
I was in London for a semester last year and I used orange, mine was a pay as you go though. They might have a yearly package you could get? I just got a cheap phone, but no internet since I had my laptop at uni. But they were always friendly to me :)

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »
I'm with O2 PAYG Simplicity and I only text and I get Unlimited texts for £5/mo. They have loads of other offers as well and are very reasonable.

I've had them for 3 years now, DH has been with them for 10 years and neither of us have had any reason to need their customer service--says something if ya ask me.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »
I shopped around a lot before I moved to the UK and eventually settled on a PAYG phone from T-Mobile. I've had it for about a month with no problems, and honestly better reception than I got from T-Mobile in the States. They have some decent rewards for topping up (I get unlimited texts--within the UK--everytime I top up with £10) and their international rates are about 7p/minute to the States.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:42:07 PM by Oonablah »

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:49:40 PM »
I agree, PAYG is the way to go. Alot of contracts now seem to be 18 or 24 months on the better phones. If you arent fussed you can pick up a phone for as little as £10or bring your existing phone over and change the sim card here with a PAYG. I have a friend over from Australia and that is exactly what he and his girlfriend did.

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »
I'm with Orange Pay As You Go (I was on a SIM-only, month-to-month contract last year (200 minutes, unlimited texts) but I wasn't using all the minutes, so it was cheaper to go back to PAYG). I have Orange primarily because of the 2 for 1 cinema tickets with Orange Wednesdays!

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:56:29 PM »
I'm also on t-mobile PAYG and my £10/month top-up bonus is "unlimited" data and free national sms. The particularly nice thing about this whole "top-up" thing is that it really is a bonus - the £10 is sitting in your account to pay for calls and international sms and my up-to-£1/day-if-I-go-over on my "unlimited" data allotment.  You just request a sim-card, pop it in your phone, put money on the account, and select your bonus!  

As for phones, check and see if your current mobile can be unlocked and used in the UK.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab