Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Review of Gyms in the UK  (Read 1033 times)

• Liked: 0
Review of Gyms in the UK
« on: June 06, 2009, 06:03:59 PM »
Hi all,
I am starting to do some gym "shopping" as I have been long neglecting working out and need to get back in shape and in the habit of exercising.  I have never joined a gym in the UK and wanted to know what everyone's feedback was, which ones they like, which ones they don't, cool things to look out for, things to be aware of et cetera.  I figured I would start a topic where we could all pool our info together for others who are also in the same boat. Also, are there any franchises that are better than others?  Does any one have any gyms that they recommend? (or don't)
cheers
Tulip
HSMP Granted 19 June 07
Expat to London 16 Aug 07
Move to Newcastle upon Tyne 21 April 08
FLR Granted under new Tier 1 visa 19 June 09

Re: Review of Gyms in the UK
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 07:07:47 PM »
For me, location is the most important thing, and I tend to go with whatever is closest to my flat, so that it's easy to get there (no excuses!). I should also note that I don't tend to use the showers or change at the gym, so I don't get too concerned about those facilities.

I've belonged to 3 different gyms since I've lived in London.

The first gym I joined was our council's leisure centre. I thought that this would be cheaper than the chain gyms, and that I would use the large indoor pool. The facilities weren't that great, to be honest, and in doing further research I realized that the rates were actually on par with the chain gyms. I also never used the pool. I definitely wouldn't discount your council's leisure centre, as I know that some are fantastic, and people have been really pleased with them. It just didn't work for me. Also, outside of London, rates are probably considerably cheaper.

The second gym I joined was Virgin, and I was happy with it. It did get a bit busy during peak hours, and sometimes I couldn't get on a machine I wanted. Facilities and staff were good. Generally satisfied with it.

I now belong to Fitness First, and I really love it. It's a smaller branch, and everyone there is really friendly. I really like the teachers/trainers there, and have gotten into a lot of classes that I haven't tried in the past. Nothing too terribly special about the facilities, I just really like the people/classes.

I will offer the caveat that among the chains, things can really vary from location to location. Also, fees vary from location to location. I looked into joining the local Virgin when we moved, but the fees were much higher than we paid in our old location (no pool at the old one), and much higher than Fitness First (which generally tends to be on the cheaper side among the chains, I believe).

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:09:16 PM »
I belong to Virgin and I really like it.  They are always cleaning the gym, floor, machines and in the changing rooms.  It is a large gym and there are more than enough machines to go around so rarely have to wait.  The gym is always introducing new types of classes to keep you interested if that is your thing.  The machines are the lastest technology and kept in good working order.  I use the pool and have to say I think it is kept very clean.
I joined a local gym when I first arrived with the idea that I would use it more because it was so close to my house but it was small and depressing and I hardly ever went.  A bit old and not quite as clean as I would have like and I really didn't like the instructors in the classes.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:38:39 PM »
My DH belonged to Virgin in Sheffield and loved it. I belonged to Fitness First and it was fine. I could use the gym in Bath or Bristol, so I was able to find classes that fit my schedule. That's what is key to me when looking for a gym as I'm a class person. Also, there was no extra charge for pilates and yoga which is what I'm hating about my current gym (unfortunately that's the norm here in Dublin). The other key is location because if it's not convenient, I won't go.

Sponsored Links