Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Parental Release Letter from Ex/Biological Parent  (Read 1732 times)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Parental Release Letter from Ex/Biological Parent
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
I applied for ILR 9 years ago and back then I didn't have to supply any additional documentation outside of proof that the relationship was still going (statements, bills) and some pay stubs.  Nothing with regards to custody or permissions for children to live here.

Are they requiring that now?
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 10:08:03 PM »
I applied for ILR 9 years ago and back then I didn't have to supply any additional documentation outside of proof that the relationship was still going (statements, bills) and some pay stubs.  Nothing with regards to custody or permissions for children to live here.

Are they requiring that now?
I also didn't have to provide supporting documentation regarding the bio fathers permission to bring the boys here but I just knew if I didn't get something from him it would bite me in the butt sooner or later!

I was also wondering if it's a requrement now.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »
I did not have to either though that was  in 97 when I applied. I did have to show proof that he was paying child support still as that was one of the things he had promised he would do.

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 11:41:12 PM »
I didn't even have to do that with my ILR in 99, even though child support was a part of our agreement too.

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 11:43:41 PM »
I did not have to either though that was  in 97 when I applied. I did have to show proof that he was paying child support still as that was one of the things he had promised he would do.
I applied for ILR in 2002 and didn't have to show proof of child support either. Weird.

• Paul & Terri O'Neale
    • Special Start Birth
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »
Not proof of child support, but his consent for the kids to get ILR. Did you not to have to get another letter saying that he did not object to them remaining in the UK indefinitely? My understanding is that I have to have that or show that the relationship has broken down completely...that it has.
Terri P O'Neale

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 09:35:43 AM »
I'll leave that in the more capable hands of the immigration advisers.  All I can say is that I didn't have to supply any additional custodial information at ILR 9 years ago.  My guess is that the original documentation I provided (at Fiancée visa stage) showed sufficient proof that the child was intended to permanently reside the UK and that permission was already granted.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 10:15:22 AM »
That was 9 years ago.  The laws regarding child custody/kidnap have tightened a huge amount since then.

If the child has come into the UK with a consent letter being provided then wether or not a new letter is needed is probably going to depend on the content of that letter.  If it is a custody order then that can just be provided again.  If it was something less formal then I would supply a new letter if possible.

Vicky

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »
Did you not to have to get another letter saying that he did not object to them remaining in the UK indefinitely?
No I didn't sorry :(

• http://www.paoperations.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 10:25:34 AM »
Vicky would the letter need to be by a lawyer? or can it be one that your ex wrote and signed? and also would it be a good idea to get it noterised?

We would like this info also as we are dealing with the UK system and if we were to go back to the USA in the future. My wifes ex husband is more than willing to write a letter as he has no problem with the boys moving to the states at all, he just said guess its a free holiday when ever we want to come over if you move.

Thanks

Indy
I hope we get better weather with the new year I am getting rained out.

Good luck to everyone with respective visa applications.

• Banned

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »
No lawyers needed.

Vicky

• Will it rain today?
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 03:50:53 AM »
hiya,

Be careful how you handle the move in Michigan. I just won my court case to get permission to move my son to the UK...had to fight it out as my ex wouldn't agree to it. My lawyer told me that it's state law that you must have the courts permission to move more than 100 miles away even if your ex agrees. It's easier to get that permission if you have his aggreement but it's required nonetheless.

Good luck!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about dancing in the rain.

• Banned

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 08:35:04 AM »
Ah, good point.  I had better clarify my post....

For UK immigration purposes you don't need lawyers to be involved.  However, you may want to consult a family lawyer in your own state to ensure that no US laws are being broken by moving your child overseas, even with your ex's consent.  You may also find that getting a court order makes things easier at a later stage, when applying for ILR or citizenship for your child.

Vicky

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »
I thought that I had everything that I needed with his signed and notorized permission form to move my children to the UK...what exactly do you need to file for in Michigan? Is there a chance that the Visa applications will be denied if you do not have a court judgement?  :o We are getting married in March, and planning to apply for the Visa's immediately afterwards, and then to move as soon as we get them. (If approved of course) How long did it take you to go through the court?

Thanks for the information...this forum really is great!

Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide to the future.

• Banned

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 11:47:23 AM »
As I have said, for UK immigration purposes the ex's agreement is all that is needed.  If you are worried about a possible breach of state laws, consult a family lawyer.

Vicky

Sponsored Links