Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: import/custom tax  (Read 1506 times)

• Liked: 1
import/custom tax
« on: September 20, 2023, 08:16:02 AM »
Hello,
We regularly receive boxed gifts from the USA, via standard mail, and everytime is a different import tax story. Sometimes we pay more than the value of the goods, others we pay little or nothing. I am now trying to get a set of ceramic plates across, a gift from my in laws, and these are used though they look pretty new. Any tips on how to best deal with it to avoid or minimise the custom tax? Does it even apply to used items? Is it a matter of the value we declare when sending? Is a courier better than another?
Any help is much appreciated,
Matteo

• Liked: 6112
Re: import/custom tax
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 08:20:14 AM »
Hello,
We regularly receive boxed gifts from the USA, via standard mail, and everytime is a different import tax story. Sometimes we pay more than the value of the goods, others we pay little or nothing. I am now trying to get a set of ceramic plates across, a gift from my in laws, and these are used though they look pretty new. Any tips on how to best deal with it to avoid or minimise the custom tax? Does it even apply to used items? Is it a matter of the value we declare when sending? Is a courier better than another?
Any help is much appreciated,
Matteo

It's a minefield .

This might help a bit. https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

• Liked: 6112
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 08:25:29 AM »
It's a minefield .

This might help a bit. https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

I don't mind paying the tax that's due but I grudge every penny of the processing fees that the carriers charge. Parcelforce are charging £12 now, on top of the taxes.
So I much  prefer when the tax is paid at the US side, which is the case when sellers on Ebay.com use the Ebay international shipping option because then you are just paying for the tax due and not those awful processing fees!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 08:54:04 AM »
A minefield indeed!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab