Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any changes to Marriage Visa Process since Feb 2008?  (Read 535 times)

• Liked: 0
Any changes to Marriage Visa Process since Feb 2008?
« on: October 02, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »
I've been reading soks07's extremely helpful posts along with others from earlier this year and I just want to check that as far as anyone here knows (and I'll probably call the consulate anyway), nothing has changed with regard to the process for applying from a Marriage Visa?

Here's our current situation:

We both live in London, England.  I'm British and my fiancee is American (New York).  She's here right now on the BUNAC Work in Britain program valid until late December.

Here's the timeline I expect:

End of October - Apply online for marriage visa and book biometrics appointment in New York City for early November
Early November - Fly to NYC and then do the following two things in whatever's the easiest order depending on the biometrics appointment
  - Go to biometrics appointment.
  - Get marriage license and the following day, get married and obtain the marriage certificate.
Wait for receipt? (can someone explain exactly what you have to wait for after the bio-appointment) of biometrics and then courier that along with all our supporting documentation (if anyone has an up-to-date checklist we'd really appreciate it) to the British Consulate.

Depending on how long they take to issue the visa, I'll fly home first and my then wife :D will follow.

To those of you who've been through this before and been kind enough to post your experiences, thank you so much.  It's starting to seem simpler now that we've waded through the immense barrages of over-information at the various visa websites.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 01:57:20 PM by justasking »

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Any changes to Marriage Visa Process since Feb 2008?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »
Really don't bother calling the consulate, they will be of no use.  Just look here to see how everyone else has done it.

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »
OK.  In that case, if anyone here knows of any changes or if my timeline isn't correct, please let me know.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 03:09:50 PM »
Recently gone through this - I got married just over 3 weeks ago and DW had visa approved earlier this week and arrives here tomorrow! YEH!  ;D

Biometrics - you print off the booking confirmation and take that with you, it has a barcode on it. At the appointment they will stamp this sheet and sign it - that is the receipt that you send.

As to what we sent

Cover letter signed by wife just briefly outlining what we were appying for and what was contained.
Printed application
Wifes passport
Marriage certificate
Notorised copy of my passport (just the photo page) - cost me £30 from a local solicitor.
Letter of intent from me - I'll post on here a copy of what I put if you wish
Letter from employer (my manager) detailing my employment, salary etc
3 months salary slips
3 months bank statements - these were just printed from online banking
Print outs from my online savings accounts and ISA's etc.
Mortgage statement from this year
My birth certificate - not sure if that was required or not
Travel itineries from when we'd visited - couldn't find one for one trip but did have the boarding pass stub so included that.
3 photos of the 2 of us together
Biometric receipt

I think that was it

There's a checklist on the BRITINUS website (I think) and thats basically what we sent.

Wow! I feel like an "expert" now, after months of looking on here, asking the questions, reading every post like this I could find....we finally made it!

Again - thanks to Vicky and everyone else on here for their help and advice, whether directly or just what I found on other posts - this site really has been invaluable.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 03:11:42 PM by TykeMan »
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 03:15:18 PM »
End of October - Apply online for marriage visa and book biometrics appointment in New York City for early November
Early November - Fly to NYC and then do the following two things in whatever's the easiest order depending on the biometrics appointment
  - Go to biometrics appointment.
  - Get marriage license and the following day, get married and obtain the marriage certificate.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have to be married before you can apply for a spousal Visa.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »
You can make the on line application before the marriage takes place.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 03:20:07 PM »
hmm, interesting!

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »
Thanks a lot TykeMan.  Your letter of intent would be helpful.  I'm guessing it just says how you met, that you fell in love and that you and your family are more than happy for her to be here right?

Ashy:  As I understand it (and again, please correct *me* if I'm wrong  ;) ), you don't need to be married to apply, but do need to be married when you send in all the final paperwork which of course has to include your marriage certificate.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 07:06:54 PM »
Thanks a lot TykeMan.  Your letter of intent would be helpful.  I'm guessing it just says how you met, that you fell in love and that you and your family are more than happy for her to be here right?

Ashy:  As I understand it (and again, please correct *me* if I'm wrong  ;) ), you don't need to be married to apply, but do need to be married when you send in all the final paperwork which of course has to include your marriage certificate.

You can do the online application before you get married - we did it about a week or so before, we then got married and sent everything in. It becomes clearer when you fill in the application - although it's the most user unfriendly site I think I've come across!

Here you go for letter of intent

Dear Sir/Madam

I confirm that I am aware of and support the application of [wifes name] nee [maiden name] to join me at my residence in the United Kingdom as my wife. We married in [place] on [date].

[wife] and I began speaking online in April, 2007 and first met in person on [date]in [place] until [date]. We met again from [date] through [date] in [place]. [Wife] visited me in the UK from [date] until [date] and I visited her in the US again from [date] until date]. [wife] visited the UK from [date] to [date]. Aside from these meetings we maintained contact through phone calls, emails and Instant Messaging/Video/Voice-chats via MSN.

We plan to live together at my current residence at [address], during which time she will seek employment.
I am currently employed by xxxxx as [job] and am able to support [wife] financially whilst she is seeking employment. Enclosed are recent salary and bank statements including savings accounts, and details of the mortgage for the above residence.

Yours faithfully

"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 08:50:14 PM »
Another sample which addresses all the points is here http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/usuk/spousal.pdf

Sponsored Links