Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US. To charge for entry into the country  (Read 2316 times)

• Liked: 1
US. To charge for entry into the country
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:27:45 AM »
If you are planning to go to the US you can beat this charge before it goes into effect. £9 and its good for 2 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10899968

Re: US. To charge for entry into the country
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 04:54:40 AM »
How weird...
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »
Great, now we can pay to be treated like a criminal!

"It replaced the green I-94 card which passengers have previously filled in on their flight into the US.", No it didn't, we still have to fill that in.

Time for the UK government to bring in a reciprocal arrangement.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
That's dumb! It didn't say anything about people who still have their American passports, though. I wonder what they do in that case?
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »
My husband got his last summer so it is good for another year. Is it possible to re-new it before it expires or will we just have to wait another year and pay the £9?
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 01:44:33 PM »
That's dumb! It didn't say anything about people who still have their American passports, though. I wonder what they do in that case?

You dont need a visa if you have a US passport.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
WTH? Seriously, don't they charge enough in landing fees and crap to cover this? And how is charging people to go to the US susposed to encourage travel and tourism? I know it's only 10 quid, but that's not the point. Sigh.

My husband got his last November, but I can't remember if I saved the info.  If I can find it, does he need to apply again even though he's been approved in the past year or do they (the US) keep the records that he's been approved previously and so when he goes through immigration it'll pop up and we won't have to show anything?  I can't remember if we had to present anything last time or not.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
My husband got his last summer so it is good for another year. Is it possible to re-new it before it expires or will we just have to wait another year and pay the £9?

Yes, renew it just before the charges come in. I got one last year and read that you could do another application before the end date, so tried it last week and got it for another 2 years.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »
WTH? Seriously, don't they charge enough in landing fees and crap to cover this? And how is charging people to go to the US susposed to encourage travel and tourism? I know it's only 10 quid, but that's not the point. Sigh.

My husband got his last November, but I can't remember if I saved the info.  If I can find it, does he need to apply again even though he's been approved in the past year or do they (the US) keep the records that he's been approved previously and so when he goes through immigration it'll pop up and we won't have to show anything?  I can't remember if we had to present anything last time or not.

No, you don't have to present anything, but he might as well get another one if possible before they start charging.

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
I got my new one today (after it was 'pending' for a few hours!!!!!) ;D I got my last one almost a year ago and basically every time I visited I got a new one lol

• Liked: 533
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »

This is a bit like a tariff. Most tariffs are sooner or later matched by other countries.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 10:12:40 AM »
If you are planning to go to the US you can beat this charge before it goes into effect. £9 and its good for 2 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10899968

This is only for persons travelling on the Visa Waiver Program who have to register with ESTA. If you are a US Citizen travelling on a US passport or you are travelling on a US Visa issued before you depart then you do not have to register with ESTA and pay the fee.

ESTA is an electronic travel authorization that all nationals of VWP countries must obtain prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the United States under the VWP.

Fees will go into effect 8 September 2010.

For information on participating in the Consultation regarding the fees plan and futher reading on the official announcement see: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/national/08062010_2.xml

• Liked: 3
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »

errr....well you'll be entering on your US passport!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 07:02:22 PM »
I just thought that since I'd be coming in to the U.S. from the UK, I'd have to pay that fee thing,too, even with the U.S passport. Oh, well, sorry. Still don't think it's fair that DH will have to pay it whenever we're able to go!
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »
I just thought that since I'd be coming in to the U.S. from the UK, I'd have to pay that fee thing,too, even with the U.S passport. Oh, well, sorry. Still don't think it's fair that DH will have to pay it whenever we're able to go!

The charge is for people who register for ESTA, which is for the visa waiver program - only people from the 36 visa waiver countries need to register for it and pay the fee, and everyone else from non-visa waiver countries must apply for a visa in advance of travel. US citizens don't need a visa or visa waiver to enter their own country, so they won't be charged either the ESTA fee or a visa fee.

Sponsored Links