Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 412350 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #6915 on: May 03, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »
The bad:
My transmission is completely hosed. Me and the transmission guy took it for a test drive and it sounded so terrible he insisted we turn back to limit the damage. And he immediately increased his estimate of the bill from £700 to "a lot".
I had to rent a car from Green Motion and stand in line for 40 minutes while each tourist in front of me was lied to and tricked into buying ridiculous amounts of deductible insurance.  Apparently this company rents cars for £50 a week and makes all it's money from selling dodgy insurance and charging extortionate amounts for each tiny scratch when the car is returned. I've bought separate deductible insurance so I hope I am safe.
The good :
I can finally see again after the optician from hell screwed up my prescription so bad I couldn't even see my computer at work.  After going back 5 times, they finally put me back on the prescription I walked in with. Could it have all been a greedy trick to convince me to use expensive daily lenses made by their own brand?  Possibly.

My husband said he hopes the people working on the transmission aren't the same people who did your vision prescription.

My five:

1.  I am not dead.

2. I slept well last night.  Quietly and without incident.

3.  My husband has a half-day tomorrow morning, but otherwise is off 'til Wednesday again.  Yay!

4.  He doesn't know it, but I will be buying (or trying to buy) his birthday present on Thursday... if I am successful it will be revealed on next Friday Five.

5.  My sister randomly gave me the GBP equivalent of $1000* last via Transferwise.   She just got home from Afghanistan, and she is sending me a gift.  I definitely got this backwards and am a terrible sister.  But, yay!

* It was £761.79, which doesn't 'read' as well as '$1000'.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 958
« Reply #6916 on: May 03, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »
Were you reimbursed by your insurance for the £1000?

When they gave me the piece of paper where all the previous damage was listed, it listed tons of scratches and dents.  I thought this will be no problem, the car obviously has so many scratches nobody cares any more.
When I tried to find those scratches on the actual car, they were TINY!  Literally microscopic scratches the width of a human hair.
I'm sure each of those represents someone who was charged thousands to fix it.

I gave up after months of trying to get the info they needed and having the insurance close the claim repeatedly. :(

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #6917 on: May 03, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
I gave up after months of trying to get the info they needed and having the insurance close the claim repeatedly. :(

That's the kind of outcome I fear.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6918 on: May 03, 2019, 09:32:01 AM »
1.  I am not dead.

Well this always an interesting way to start a Friday Five? 
What was your sister doing in Afghanistan, if you can tell? Curiosity!!

Friday!
1.) I've been invited out to a curry as a plus one for my husband, by his boss as one of the staff is leaving and they're having a leaving do.  Been ages since I had a curry out. This place is yummy too. Mmmmm. [smiley=chef.gif]

2.) I've been revising for a professional exam I am taking next week. And I shall be spending my weekend doing so.  Uggh.  [smiley=book.gif]

3.) All change in the office again. But I'm away from the bully. Finally.  He's slowly getting his due.   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4.) Having some bacon, hash browns and scrambled eggs right now. Because Friday. [smiley=angel.gif]

5.) The weather. Brrrr. The snowflake symbol was showing on the car this morning and it was just sleeting.  Bye summer!  [smiley=antlers.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6919 on: May 03, 2019, 09:36:43 AM »

1.  I am not dead.

That is a good sign.  :)

• Liked: 239
« Reply #6920 on: May 03, 2019, 09:40:20 AM »
JFK, glad you’re not dead!
PB, your breakfast sounds divine

1. I slept decently last night with the exception of a leg cramp and my abdomen being really sore. Like I did crunches sore, but I didn’t. Weird. But I still feel good. Also weird  ;D
2. I’m having a great hair and makeup day. That’s a big deal  :D
3. I have hubby for 3 entire days in a row. I have him in the evenings but bank holiday Monday means I get 3 whole days!
4. I got a sweat band/waist trimmer a few days ago and it’s amazing. I’m in love.
5. I’ve lost more weight in the last two weeks off weight watchers than I ever did on it. Hilarious. Happy to save £15 a month!
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6921 on: May 03, 2019, 09:43:41 AM »
The bad:
My transmission is completely hosed. Me and the transmission guy took it for a test drive and it sounded so terrible he insisted we turn back to limit the damage. And he immediately increased his estimate of the bill from £700 to "a lot".
I had to rent a car from Green Motion and stand in line for 40 minutes while each tourist in front of me was lied to and tricked into buying ridiculous amounts of deductible insurance.  Apparently this company rents cars for £50 a week and makes all it's money from selling dodgy insurance and charging extortionate amounts for each tiny scratch when the car is returned. I've bought separate deductible insurance so I hope I am safe.
The good :
I can finally see again after the optician from hell screwed up my prescription so bad I couldn't even see my computer at work.  After going back 5 times, they finally put me back on the prescription I walked in with. Could it have all been a greedy trick to convince me to use expensive daily lenses made by their own brand?  Possibly.

UGH with bills like that, are you really wanting to be able to see properly? Sorry about your transmission :(

My Friday 5:

1. Going to Whitby this weekend to see my FIL. It's always good to get away but I'd be lying if I said I was massively looking forward to being in Whitby for the long weekend (especially with crap weather).  We also are taking the pup and I do love watching her at the beach.

2. I submitted my naturalisation application. I've got my appointment next weekend to give biometrics and everything! Have to go to Croydon this time as  Birmingham was fully booked up until end of May/beginning of June and I didn't want to delay (and Reading never has ANY availability - free or for pay!). Had to pay £100 for a saturday again but it was either pay for a weeknight or pay for a Saturday...lol

3. At least we get to enjoy Pizza Friday tonight before going to Whitby tomorrow morning :) (and I get a Starbucks for the road tomorrow morning)

4.  Looks like the house purchase is moving along swiftly. We've got requests out from our solicitor to theirs (I think off the back end of searches) but it's looking like DEFINITELY June for closing (which is totally fine as my parents will be there and can help us clean MUAHAHAHA I loathe the new house cleaning process! but it'll be a pain because it's harder to plan time away with them in Wales until we know further). We were told that the first time buyers who are our buyers though still haven't had their mortgage sorted out! They're due to get it resolved next week (fingers crossed). We are already making GOOD progress on the packing but I'm hesitant to pack further (especially with us having such unpredictable weather).

No 5 this week that I can think of at the moment but I'm stuck on con-calls so my brain isn't fully here :p

(7 new replies since I started this post!!! LOL I will catch up on those after posting)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #6922 on: May 03, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »
Also pleased that JF is not dead. And agree that it's DEFINITELY a way to start a friday 5!

Kristie - I absolutely love the days when hair/make-up is on point! For me, though, it's typically when I'm not the one who's done it! hahah

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #6923 on: May 03, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »

Kristie - I absolutely love the days when hair/make-up is on point! For me, though, it's typically when I'm not the one who's done it! hahah

It’s an extreme rarity for me for my makeup to look good lol. I’ve never had anyone else do it so that may be why  :D
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #6924 on: May 03, 2019, 10:07:06 AM »
It’s an extreme rarity for me for my makeup to look good lol. I’ve never had anyone else do it so that may be why  :D

I don't even usually try beyond eyeliner as I end up either just looking more handsome (like a dude in bad drag) than actually feminine and nice looking  OR I look like a total clown (like circus clown).
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6925 on: May 03, 2019, 10:27:17 AM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  Long weekend!  But bad weather.  But I'd rather a day at home with crap weather than a day at work with good weather!

2.  Hoping to get everything we intend in the skip this weekend so we can get it off the drive.

3.  I've completed 10 days of being good (diet).  Aiming for 60 (well just shy) before our annual family photos.  So 1/6 of the way through!

4.  Sobe gets another antibiotic dose tonight.  He's going to be thrilled to see the carrier come out!

5.  Thankfully since it's crap weather this weekend, I won't be missing out on any BBQ's. 

« Reply #6926 on: May 03, 2019, 10:39:57 AM »
5.  Thankfully since it's crap weather this weekend, I won't be missing out on any BBQ's.

We still BBQ in the rain! hahah You can't wait for the sunshine in England. We've 100% BBQ'd in the rain before too.

Also, sidenote, i get increasingly annoyed every time I say "Grill" and my husband says "A grill is PART of the BBQ! Say BBQ!". Like "YOU GOT WHAT I WAS ON ABOUT!"
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6927 on: May 03, 2019, 10:42:54 AM »
We still BBQ in the rain! hahah You can't wait for the sunshine in England. We've 100% BBQ'd in the rain before too.

Also, sidenote, i get increasingly annoyed every time I say "Grill" and my husband says "A grill is PART of the BBQ! Say BBQ!". Like "YOU GOT WHAT I WAS ON ABOUT!"

We do when it's preplanned.  But none preplanned this weekend and works for me!  Trying so hard to be good!!!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6928 on: May 03, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
Well this always an interesting way to start a Friday Five? 
What was your sister doing in Afghanistan, if you can tell? Curiosity!!

On Wednesday night, about 2:30am, I woke suddenly with a laryngospasm that scared the cr@p out of me and my husband.  We didn't get back to sleep for well over an hour.  Yesterday was hard after that terrible night.  But it's like the dangers of the Fire Swamp... I know what that one is, now, so I can deal with it when/if it happens again.

My sister is in the Air Force and it was her turn for deployment.  She hated it, but most people do, I think.

Congrats on applying for citizenship, KoD!  Submitting the application is the hard part.  Now you just wait for the ceremony in your honour.  Wheeee!

KristieP:  I haven't had one in years, but I love those days where everuthing just works and you feel and look awesome!  Have a great day!  (I've never had my makeup done for me, either.  Actually, I've only had my hair done as part of a cut/style, not for an event...)

I don't even usually try beyond eyeliner...

My go-to is mascara.  My eyelashes are thick and long and beautiful, but kind of blonde on the tips so nobody knows how awesome they are. I use "soft black" mascara to bring them out, and it completely reframes my appearance.  Mascara is my happy face.

FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  Long weekend!  But bad weather.  But I'd rather a day at home with crap weather than a day at work with good weather!

100% concur.  Home beats work any day!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #6929 on: May 03, 2019, 11:47:50 PM »
It’s still Friday here, so here are my Five:

1. Only 3 full days left before I fly home to the UK. Tonight is my last night shift here, and I only have one more shift after this (Monday day shift).

2. However, it’s looking like my flight on Tuesday may have to delay a few hours due to turbulent winds :(.

3. I had to move into a transit room a couple of days ago as my replacement arrives this evening and has to move into my room. Unfortunately, the transit room has no accessible WiFi, so I have to go to the coffee shop or officer’s mess to get online :(. Also, the room is not en-suite and I have to use communal (unisex) toilets and showers, where there’s a sliding sign on the door to say whether there is a female or male occupant in there... and that is the only thing keeping other people out - the doors don’t even lock (though there are toilet cubicles) and the shower stalls just have curtains. Needless to say, I’m mostly showering in the gym changing rooms!

4. I am almost done with my Falklands Challenge. I have completely 554km on the bike and 60km in the pool... just 20km left to cycle and 2km left to swim in the next 2 days :).

5. I’m getting excited for the new Veronica Mars revival miniseries which is released on Hulu in late July :). Oh, as season 4 of Lucifer is released in Netflix on the day I arrive home :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab