Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Black Beans?  (Read 624 times)

• BARGALARG!!
  • Liked: 0
Black Beans?
« on: October 01, 2004, 03:52:50 PM »
I am looking for and looking for and not finding my favorite staple item from life in the US -- Black Beans! Has anybody here seen them, or know where to find them?

There was also a thread I think I saw a while back, where someone was looking for tomatilloes? Did anybody ever find those, either?

My belly would be so much happier, with some frijoles negritoes!
ouchy

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Black Beans?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 04:16:31 PM »
You can find dry black beans in lots of stores - I get them at Sainsburys.

However, tinned black beans already seasoned and such you'd have to order from somewhere like Lupe Pintos (in Scotland, they deliver).

Of course, I just received a care package from my mother today with at least 3 tins of Cuban-style black beans in it... ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 04:58:44 PM »
Sainsbury's does have them dried (in pretty small packets).  That's the only place I've found them dried other than an organic food shop.  And sometimes they're called turtle beans!   ;)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 06:06:52 PM »
I just bought 3 tins of them (plain in salted water) at an independent food shop here in Taunton. So if you're feel like a quick trip from Bath to Taunton, you can stock up!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 12:05:38 PM »
They do them at times in the organic sections of some stores.  I ahve just been using the dried ones though to be honest.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 02:40:01 PM »
I stand corrected - there were SIX tins in the package!   ;D ;D ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
  • Location: Michigan to Birmingham U.K. (via Florida & Australia)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 01:54:46 PM »
After a year of searching, my other half just bought me some 'black turtle beans' (ah, isn't he sweet?!) ;D   I looked in all our local supermarkets for black beans, to no avail.  The black beans were finally found in our local health food shop....  black bean soup for dinner tonight!

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 08:00:05 PM »
This is a long shot but I thought I would pass the info on anyway...

http://www.mexgrocer.com/catagories-packaged-foods.html

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING

Now get your orders ANYWHERE in the world!

Or . . . do have friends or loved ones abroad, missing their favorite items from back home?

We've found a solution to help our customers get their favorite products all over the world! Access USA is a mail forwarding company based in Sarasota, Florida. You can now order all your favorite mexican grocery and household products from MexGrocer.com, ship them to your Personal US address (set up with Access USA) and Access USA will forward your order anywhere in the world. It's easy! To begin, sign up at Access USA today by clicking the banner to the left or click here.
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 08:06:35 PM »
Safeway and Waitrose have them too! In at least the tinned form!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab