Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Money from UK to American bank account?  (Read 891 times)

• Liked: 0
Money from UK to American bank account?
« on: April 17, 2005, 11:51:53 PM »
Does anyone know the best way for me to get money transfered from my UK to my American account? I'm going traveling in a month. My American debit card is a Visa, and my UK one is just a Solo, so I would feel better having more money in my American account since I can use the Visa more places. (I'm with NatWest in the UK and AMSouth in the USA)

Can the bank transfer money directly? Or can I get a check in dollars?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Money from UK to American bank account?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 11:56:28 PM »
You should be able to do an international wire transfer since you have accounts in both places.  Just make sure you have all your US details with you and check that your US bank received the funds. 

otterpop.. correct me if I'm wrong!   ;)
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 12:05:50 AM »
Will the bank(s) charge me for this? If so, around how much?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 11:23:16 AM »
The bank will charge you, though the amount depends on the bank.

bvamin

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 05:28:32 PM »
I found the cheapest and easiest way is to transfer via PayPal.  It takes about 5-7 working days, but there's no fees, and the exchange rates are fairly decent.  Doing it through the bank will get you charged around $25 on each side (the bank you are sending from and to will both charge you).

Other than that, you could do it a less-safer way (did this when we went to NY to book our wedding things).  Go to M&S or an American Express travel office (i say them because they have the best rates usually and Amex will price-match to the best rate) and purchase your amount in US$ Travellers Cheques (you need to call about a week in advance if you want anything above $100 notes).  Then sign them to insure them and bring with you on the plane.  Then just deposit them into your US account.  The funds will be available instantly because they are travellers cheques.

Hope I helped.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab