Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First Five Weeks - Part II  (Read 1249 times)

• Liked: 0
First Five Weeks - Part II
« on: February 13, 2004, 01:28:36 PM »
(Please see the message "First Five Weeks - Part I" for the first half of this topic.)

Feb 5:

First some old business from the last group update:
- The oven has been fixed. All it took was a soldering iron -- but that's way later in the story. About three weeks ago, I was redeemed when the handyman at the rental office came by the apartment to show me how the heating system worked and spent the last twenty minutes of his thirty minute visit on the kitchen floor, manual on his lap, and head a third of the way into the oven ... sound familiar? Last week, I took a half day off of work, and the electrician came by. For about a half hour, I heard him muttering "sh*t" and throwing metal against metal. However, the end result was that we can now bake.

* When I first moved to DC, a friend clued me in the nicknames for the different Safeways around town. The one that was most amusing to me was the one dubbed the "Soviet Safeway" -- not named this because of the population that shopped there, but rather because of the fact there was never anything on the shelves. When I got here, New Year's weekend, the supermarkets were very bare -- but I chalked that up to the fact that it was a long weekend ... and sure enough, came Monday evening, all the shelves were back to their full splendor. Fast-forward to today. We are trying to buy a TV. Any 25+ inch would do -- with a major brand name. Well, let's just say, that no one will take our money. Sure, we can buy TV's that have the brand "Bush" or "Thomson" or "Beko" ... but the minute that we point to any of the Philips, Panasonic, or Toshibas on display, the response is "Oh, yeah, we are out of those." My favorite reply today was, "Well, we can sell you that one, but it won't come in a box, nor can we give you the manual. We can give you bubble wrap, though." Very 'quaint', as I have been taught to say ... -- read on below.

* One of the guys in the office is an American who has been in Europe for a year or two. He has given me pointers on adjusting to British life, as well as words to use and their 'proper' pronunciation, clothes to not wear (solid colors are good, nothing flashy), etc. One of the things that has truly helped me, though, however, is a word choice trick that he taught me. Whenever I see something that I should consider dumb, archaic, or backwards, I should just term it "quaint." As in, "Oh, you mean that I want to buy a car so I don't have to spend fifteen pounds (USD$27) a day on a rental car and it won't be here for a month? Oh, how quaint." It normally works better if I am biting my lower lip and a little blood is coming down my cheek.

* Tony Blair is having a real rough month. First, he has some domestic problems with university students, as he is submitting a proposal that calls for students to pay a greater share of their education. Then, there is the issue with Bush hanging him out to dry, with all of the talk about the Brits providing faulty intelligence to the U.S. But, with all of this going on, he still has time to host a mid-morning call-in show on the local London radio station. I don't think it's a weekly thing, but one day, I turned on the radio, and here is a conversation going on on the radio between a voice on the phone and what sounds to be Tony Blair. It took me about two minutes to confirm this, and then I was captivated for thirty or so minutes. No moderator, just PM Blair and the callers. And the people that would call in would start their calls with, "Hi, Tony, this is .." 'Tony?' And, if he couldn't answer something, he would say, "Let me take your email, and I will answer you sometime this week." WHA???? It was so campy ...

* Set of signs at restrooms in a downtown London pub: in front of the women's bathroom door: "Ballerinas", in front of the men's: "Builders". Yep, political correctness is pretty much dead in the UK.

* Now the interactive part of the update.  Guess how much it costs me to fill up my 11 gallon gas tank?  a. USD$30; b. USD$43; c. USD$ 57.  The correct answer: C, as in "Crying every time I fill up."  

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: First Five Weeks - Part II
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 01:40:44 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing those, and yes I read every word!!!!!
I hope you post more updates, so many of us can relate to what you'rs saying! ;)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 03:09:44 PM »
i read it, too, although it took a while...  :-/

welcome to jolly old England, Cebolamonica! ;D

a tip on posting at this site...  try to split topics like these into smaller posts, and i can guarantee that you will get more of a response from the others.  trying to lump 5 weeks into a single post is a bit overwhelming to some, i think.  if you are interested in keeping a diary of your changes, there are many places online where you can create a "blog", too.  you may want to check into that...  :)

this is a great forum to come to for support from people that have experienced similar thoughts and feelings about moving from the US to the UK.  i hope that, over time, you will experience its benefits, and possibly meet some new friends.

moving to the UK is a huge thing.  so many people think that it should be easy because, hey, we speak the same language, right?  that couldn't be further from the truth...  i have been here for about 7 months now, permanently, and there are still many days that i feel like a newbie, wondering if i will ever "fit in" to this backwards-seeming place...  :-/

i wish you the best of luck, and hope to see you around UK-Yankee a bit more as time goes on...  this is a great place to come for a laugh, sometimes for a good cry, and most of all...
its a place that you can come to where you will never feel alone.   wow, that was deep, wasn't it? :o  lol

take care, love, and btw... happy valentine's day!  ;D

~Angel~

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 04:07:27 PM »
Sounds like you're having a bit of a challenge!  But you are handling it very well.  Good luck to you Cebolamonica.  So what happened next?
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 05:04:03 PM »
Hey there Ricardo!  You have at last landed fully in the glorious land of London!  Glad to see you're still able to keep your sense of humor about it all.  Remember these days...and this post.  One day you won't find it all so fun.  ;)

You should come along to the Chili's dinner on the 6th march and say hello!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 06:09:47 PM »
* Set of signs at restrooms in a downtown London pub: in front of the women's bathroom door: "Ballerinas", in front of the men's: "Builders". Yep, political correctness is pretty much dead in the UK.

Liked that bit.  Anyway.. read both posts and really enjoyed them. :)   Sounds like you've had a bit of a struggle so far, but are coping with humor.  Hope to hear more from you around here!  

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 09:28:12 PM »
Hey there R!  I saw you on the other day and wondered how things had been going for you!  Sounds like you're managing and before you know it, it'll all seem like home. :)  Look forward to the continued updates!

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 12:28:01 AM »
Thanks for the reponses!  But, I am sorry if I came off as seeming like I am having a rough time adjusting.  I did some editing of the original emails I sent my friends back at home, and I cut out some parts that perhaps were crucial in being able to read that I am, in all of this, having a smile on my face and find wonderment in it all.  After all, it's "only" Britain ... what would have happenend if I had moved to a _really_ foreign country?  If a non-working oven and a late delivery of a car is all I've had to worry about, I say I am having a pretty easy adjustment time -- "touch" wood.

Thanks for the comments!

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 07:31:58 PM »
Glad to hear you're settling in okay... after all, a broken oven can happen anywhere!  :)
I do hope you're not *really* using the word 'quaint', though!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab