Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting an appointment at US embassy London -- strategy?  (Read 1071 times)

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
Getting an appointment at US embassy London -- strategy?
« on: July 22, 2021, 08:07:46 AM »
I urgently need to have my middle name put on my US passport so that it can align with my UK passport, or HM Passport Office will not issue me a passport. Is there a strategy for making the appointment? A certain time of day to check the website? An app for my phone?

Many thanks -- I'm having a nervous breakdown!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Getting an appointment at US embassy London -- strategy?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 11:10:47 AM »
You'll need to apply via post for a renewal to update your name. 

BUT it sounds like you don't HAVE a UK passport yet?  Your UK passport will be issued in the name on your US passport.  Your naturalisation certificate will be issued in the name on your US passport.

The embassy is only doing emergency travel passports at the moment.  They are not issuing passports for visas or anything else (which is bonkers but it is what it is).

They will do the standard renewals through the post which is what you need for a name change.  It should take less than 3 weeks.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 10:09:51 AM »
I recently managed to get an appointment for my son, and as best I could figure out, appointments are released for the following week on Thursdays. I checked for weeks and it seemed to be happening on Thursday afternoons/evenings, but the week before last I checked on a whim on a Thursday morning and finally (after nearly two months of trying) I managed to get an appointment.

As far as I know the only way to get an appointment is to just keep checking on the website, so I would just start checking on Thursday morning (I think it was around 8 am for me) and check throughout the day.

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 10:41:07 AM »
It's a long saga, but the UK wouldn't renew my UK passport until it matched my US passport. UK had first and last name, US had first, last and middle initial. UK wouldn't add the middle initial unless I changed my name by deed poll!! And US wouldn't change the initial to my middle name unless I went to London with my birth certificate. By some miracle (actually by refreshing the screen every 2 minutes for nearly 3 hours) I got an appointment and went there yesterday and now it's done. When I get my new US passport, I can send it with my birth certificate and marriage certificate to HM Passport Office to get my renewed (not first, but renewed!) UK passport. The names will match, showing first, middle and last names.

WHAT A FAFF!

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 12:10:59 AM »
It's a long saga, but the UK wouldn't renew my UK passport until it matched my US passport. UK had first and last name, US had first, last and middle initial. UK wouldn't add the middle initial unless I changed my name by deed poll!! And US wouldn't change the initial to my middle name unless I went to London with my birth certificate. By some miracle (actually by refreshing the screen every 2 minutes for nearly 3 hours) I got an appointment and went there yesterday and now it's done. When I get my new US passport, I can send it with my birth certificate and marriage certificate to HM Passport Office to get my renewed (not first, but renewed!) UK passport. The names will match, showing first, middle and last names.

WHAT A FAFF!

Here’s where I’m confused….  You’ll have to forgive me, I haven’t had to renew my first UK passport yet…

How does the UK know (or care) about names on other passports?  Do we have to post them ALL off when we renew?  I don’t think I sent my daughters US passport when we renewed her British one.  I’m sure I didn’t. 

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 09:26:41 AM »
Here’s where I’m confused….  You’ll have to forgive me, I haven’t had to renew my first UK passport yet…

How does the UK know (or care) about names on other passports?  Do we have to post them ALL off when we renew?  I don’t think I sent my daughters US passport when we renewed her British one.  I’m sure I didn’t. 

When you apply to renew your UK passport, if you hold other passports, you are asked to submit them as well and your name must align exactly between all documents. It's a new thing.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/965566/Names_-_aligning_names_on_foreign_documents.pdf

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 12:02:55 PM »
When you apply to renew your UK passport, if you hold other passports, you are asked to submit them as well and your name must align exactly between all documents. It's a new thing.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/965566/Names_-_aligning_names_on_foreign_documents.pdf

Sorry, that’s would be my fault.  Whenever I do something, they change the rules!!

• Liked: 720
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »

When we renewed our UK passports in recent years we had to send in our original US passports as well. Our son renewed his UK passport a few years ago while still Iiving in the USA and he had to copy every page of his US passport and send it in with the  application.

When we renewed our UK passports the time before, we were still living in the USA and didn’t have to send in either a copy or original US passport so I do think a change to the rules has happened at some point.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 12:31:46 PM »
Sorry, that’s would be my fault.  Whenever I do something, they change the rules!!

Another reason I want out. I would not have had to travel to London and spend all that money modifying my US passport if I didn't have one. My US citizenship is to me now like an appendix, that has been flaring up more and more lately. I don't need it, doctor. I need a citizenship-ectomy. The rules can then change all they want for dual nationalities or American expats -- I won't be one!

Sponsored Links