Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: And then there's Sky - and a dilemma  (Read 7834 times)

• Liked: 681
Re: And then there's Sky - and a dilemma
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 10:54:22 PM »
They charge for them.

I use Roku, which has lots of content. And I also like over-the-air broadcasts. All the major networks are required by law to broadcast over the air. It just requires an aerial.... ;D

In LA, depending on her building and where she is in relation to the towers (I think they're on Mt. Diablo? maybe? Memory is faded...) an indoor antenna placed in/near a window might do the trick.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:17:30 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 958
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 12:17:52 AM »
No, we won't be buying cable tv. But we do have to pay for internet. Which probably means Time Warner, at about $65 a month....

I'm fond of antenna tv, and various streaming services, myself. 8)
Look for places that have FiOS or Greenlight if you can. TW was bought out by comcast in most of NY and its even worse than it was. The service is so much better on fiber!

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 12:22:13 AM »
One of the places we're looking at on Monday has Fios Internet and TV as part of the rent. I've read good and bad about both. But we're kind of to the point that if the place is acceptable, we'll put in an offer to rent it. It's a little rural, so we'll have to buy a car, but it looks lovely. Of course, most apartments don't look bad online, do they? ;)   As it's going to snow a lot, and as we need to be avoiding people until the Covid vaccine is out (and tested)... a nice big apartment with pretty views of the woods is probably not a bad idea. Especially if it's got good cable and internet.

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 12:46:07 AM »
One of the places we're looking at on Monday has Fios Internet and TV as part of the rent. I've read good and bad about both. But we're kind of to the point that if the place is acceptable, we'll put in an offer to rent it. It's a little rural, so we'll have to buy a car, but it looks lovely. Of course, most apartments don't look bad online, do they? ;)   As it's going to snow a lot, and as we need to be avoiding people until the Covid vaccine is out (and tested)... a nice big apartment with pretty views of the woods is probably not a bad idea. Especially if it's got good cable and internet.
For the upcoming winter, I'd want a nice view, big kitchen and fridge, and reliable Internet so I hope the viewing goes well :)

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 12:53:05 AM »
I dunno. I'm getting cold feet on that one. There are a LOT of negative reviews online about it, and only a handful of good ones.  I might switch that one out to Tuesday and try to see another one closer into town instead in that timeslot. It's a little pricey, too.

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 02:59:32 AM »
Still can't get Sky to respond. I keep getting canned messages about phoning them.

I say "I'm overseas and cannot call you. Please give an email address or chat" and get back a canned message with a phone number.

I have made a good-faith effort, and have their verification of cancellation email, so  that's all I'm doing.

Now, of course, there's Green Network Energy, the utility. They told me to send my final readings. I did that on the 29th. Today I got a bill from them with estimated reads for 30 Aug through 11 Sept.  Sent the third email to them. I believe they owe me money, and I don't owe them the thirty-five pounds (or whatever the bill said). Have just escalated it to their complaints department. And, once again, they can't get blood out of a rock, though I'm trying to neatly end everything.  Christ, what a pain in the ass it is dealing with UK vendors who insist on doing everything by phone!   ::) ::)

• Liked: 724
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 08:29:16 AM »
We went through similar in 2011 after spending 7 months in a rented house and I agree with you. I used Skype at 2.3c/min to call UK numbers. A 20 minute call was only 50c.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 12:23:13 PM »
Once we get into our apartment and I can set up my internet phone I will probably call them. Right now my little laptop doesn't have anyway for me to use Skype (no camera, no mike).

Seriously, that was something I really disliked about the UK. The excessive use of the phone to get things done and no options other than the phone. It was tremendously annoying for me. I have quite a lot of trouble hearing on telephones. So much for disability access....

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 01:17:25 PM »
Once we get into our apartment and I can set up my internet phone I will probably call them. Right now my little laptop doesn't have anyway for me to use Skype (no camera, no mike).

Seriously, that was something I really disliked about the UK. The excessive use of the phone to get things done and no options other than the phone. It was tremendously annoying for me. I have quite a lot of trouble hearing on telephones. So much for disability access....
It's a huge issue for me. I have extreme anxiety when dealing with customer service over the phone, along with issues understanding different accents. Covid cut off most online support methods so deaf and hard of hearing suddenly lost access to it. There will be lawsuits under the equalities act, but that does very little to help people now. The laws here for disability are far too lax and open to interpretation, they assume people will do the right thing vs creating clear guidelines.

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2020, 08:44:50 PM »
I kept rattling their cages, and used twitter. Got a response that I should go to their "cancel service" page and it would take me to a chat. So after several days of not being able to get through on the chat I did so - after a four hour wait. Only to be told that they could only discuss currently open accounts, not closed ones, so I should phone their billing dept.

I told them I was through - I'd made a massive effort to contact them and was not going to take it further. And buh bye.  >:(

Sponsored Links