Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dexter  (Read 732 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Dexter
« on: July 08, 2007, 11:01:44 PM »
Anybody seen this? I just downloaded and watched the first episode and I like it a lot. But obviously you have to have the stomach for it... i.e. CSI type stuff.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
Re: Dexter
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 11:05:05 PM »
I've heard it's great, and I really love Michael C Hall, and so *want* to watch it, but...I have a very low gore threshold. :(  So I'm skipping it for now, until my cast-iron stomach comes in (damn Royal Mail!).  ;D

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 11:09:08 PM »
I don't know - the whole concept sounds completely f'ed up and depraved - I'm boycotting on principle. Maybe I'm wrong? But the ads make it look way over the line. (Mind you, I didn't read American Psycho for similar reasons).

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 11:30:11 PM »
I'm going to watch sometime on Monday I have it recorded on my Sky+ box. I think it looks weird but interesting.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »
I've watched 4 or 5 episodes of it and really like it.

• Sweet home Chicago!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 05:08:25 PM »
i love this show and I'm catching up by watching the episodes On Demand.
Chicago-->NYC-->Chicago-->UK-->Chicago

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 05:13:33 PM »
It's a good show. I'll keep watching. It's nothing like American Pyscho, Stella. It's not that graphic.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 09:47:41 PM »
I love it!  Watched several episodes last visit home with my Dad, he's hooked on it!

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 12:08:10 PM »
It's a good show. I'll keep watching. It's nothing like American Pyscho, Stella. It's not that graphic.

It's the glorifying of a mentally disturbed serial killer, as if it's nothing, that bothers me. That's what I got from the ads - if the show is something completely different, I'm open to persuasion, but the ads completely turned me off.

Just read yesterday about a 13 year old girl in Canada who was convicted for murdering her parents and her 8 year old brother when she was 12; she and her 23 year old boyfriend stabbed them to death because her parents wouldn't let her date him. So how about a TV show where she grows up and then tracks down other killers for the police and stabs them to death?

That's what the ads made the show seem like. If it's not, if the storyline is totally different, it doesn't seem like it. Seems like a serial killer is helping the police by being allowed to go kill other killers. I just think that's not funny, it's depraved and for me crosses the line of what I think should be promoted and glorified.

Is that what the show is?

Call me a fuddy-duddy! :)

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 12:13:09 PM »
I'm not 100% on the back story, but what I understand is 1) the police don't know he's a killer and 2) he is adopted (or a foster child?) who's adoptive father was a cop. This cop knew there was something wrong with him (some trauma he can't remember I think?) and he's the one who tried to push his kid to work within the system rather than running on a rampage.

I do understand what you're saying though. And since I'm not sure where they are going to go with the back story, it's hard to see if they really are glorifying it.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »
So is he doing any killing? The ads make it look like he regularly dismembers people? And there's a wink-wink-nudge-nudge element to the story, like, 'ha ha, we know he's a serial killer but no one else does, aren't we clever'?

Like I said, I could be totally wrong (obviously, since I haven't seen it), but the way the ads presented it is what I am going on.

I appreciate any clarification.

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 12:35:36 PM »
Oh, and what I mean by glorifying, is that the main character is the serial killer, and there's nothing wrong with it. He's the hero of the series. I just sort of balk at the idea that it's ok to put a serial killer as the likable rogue lead character of a series, I mean, when did that become alright? To me it's crossed a line and that's why I think it's depraved. If that makes sense.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 01:17:13 PM »
I love Dexter. I managed to catch the first season on Showtime before I left the US.

Basically, without any spoilers, Dexter is a CSI who's had a extremely traumatic upbringing (in a law enforcement family), and as an adult he became a killer who targets criminals who he feels have escaped justice. There's quite a bit of black humor in the show, and also in the books, but it's not overly gruesome or violent. I wouldn't peg it as depraved.

Sponsored Links