Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Christmas skiing and New Years in Las Vegas  (Read 988 times)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Christmas skiing and New Years in Las Vegas
« on: January 16, 2004, 05:59:22 PM »
More travel photos (one day I'll put together an album, promise, Trish!)

We spent a week at Christmas skiing in Mammoth California, took a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon, then went on to Las Vegas for New Years. I was sick almost the whole time, but the scenery was great and it was wonderful to visit with my son!

Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Re: Christmas skiing and New Years in Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 07:17:43 PM »

Wonderful pics Lisa :)Helicopter ride :o oh you really are a bit braver then me,but it does look pretty from the one pic.
Hope to see more as well  ;D

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 06:30:02 AM »
I know it sounds odd, but the helicopter ride was, well, it just seemed like nothing. I mean, I think I am more nervous in a small plane. With a helicopter, you start slowly. You just kinda hover and when that feels good, you go a little higher. Just about the time you think "oh, okay, I can handle this" you're way up in the air and you never realize it. And it never feels that way. Coming down is the same thing. It's not like you might run off the end of a mountain, you just sorta gently float down. It's way cool. And definitely a great way to see the Grand Canyon. One thing the pilot did was to hover slightly just at the first peak, sorta eye-level, and then suddenly raise to see the whole thing, well a lot of it. It was, "Whoa! So cool!"

On the same trip we flew over the Hoover Dam and saw Area 51 in the distance. I definitely recommend it for a life experience. (Oh and a limo picked us up at our hotel, then dropped us off...that was the coolest thing to my son.)

Someone else posting on this web site did the same thing the day before we did.  ;)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 06:00:09 PM »
 Iam not a fan of small planes really,and the only time that I dont like flying in a jet,is the slow descent.I suffer from nausea then :-/

I always thought that I would suffer from it  in a helicopter,and a few friends didnt have good experiences as well.So maybe Iam just a wee bit apprehensive about them.

Iam sorry but trying not to sound daft,but what is Area 51 then?Oh I bet you son enjoyed the limo,my daughter would as well  ;D lol.
Iam still amazed in the beauty of the moutain in the helicopter pic.To be able to see a mountain that close up at the top .Wow!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 07:02:27 PM »
"Someone else posting on this web site did the same thing the day before we did.  ;)"

I think that person Lisa is referring to might be me! My now husband and I did the helicopter tour of the canyon the day before our wedding! I have to say it was one of the highlights of my trip.  I was the only one in our helicopter who had never been in one before.  And you really don't notice anything.   I would definitely recommend this as a must do to anyone going to Vegas.   I'll post my pictures too once I've downloaded them and have figured out how to post them.

Maureen

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 07:48:49 PM »
Hey Maureen! Welcome back to terra firma! If only we'd arrived a day earlier, you would have had a drop-in to the ceremony!

I hope you had a memorable time! (Shucks, had you waited a few days, you could have shared a La Vegas anniversary with Britany.)

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 05:30:29 PM »
Rhia, sorry, forgot to answer this first time and it actually woke me up thinking "Oh No!"

Area 51 is the place in Arizona where they (supposedly) did secret government experimentations on aliens.

(I was going to give you a link to a page that seemed to have good info but it was on Lycos and the pop-ups were too annoying.)

Sponsored Links