Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Please help ASAP---Revising overstay statement  (Read 1615 times)

• Liked: 0
Please help ASAP---Revising overstay statement
« on: May 24, 2005, 08:22:56 PM »
So, after taking Garry's advice, I'm posting my draft of what I plan to put on my settlement application to explain my 10-month overstay in the UK. Since there's a very limited amount of space on the e-fastrack form, I'm planning on this (in answer to Section 9, dates and duration of my visits to the UK):

25-20 Oct 1997; 28 May-August 2003; Sept 2003-June 2004. I did not enter the UK with the intention of overstaying. I made a judgment error due to the circumstances surrounding my husband's US visa application. I now realize the gravity of my mistake.

That's all that will fit! Then when they ask me about it at my appointment, I'll emphasize that I didn't work or use public services while I was there, that I have come to understand how serious an error it was, and that I did it for personal reasons (in order to do all the visa stuff for my husband, who is uselss at that kind of thing, and because I really couldn't bear to be apart from him) not for any financial gain or anything tricksy like that.

How does that sound? I know my reasoning isn't anything very unusual, but it's all true.
All advice is very much appreciated. I'll be applying this week!

Re: Please help ASAP---Revising overstay statement
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 02:37:31 AM »
Sounds good.  I'd suggest a change to "... judgement error in staying during the delay in my husband's visa application..." 

Also recommend deleting the words "the gravity of".  I don't think it has been established that the matter is grave.

Jim

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 03:13:06 AM »
Sounds good.  I'd suggest a change to "... judgement error in staying during the delay in my husband's visa application..." 

Also recommend deleting the words "the gravity of".  I don't think it has been established that the matter is grave.

Jim

I think any situation where you have violated immigration law should be treated with gravitas, especially when one is trying (admirably) to impress upon the advisors that you don't take your violation of those laws lightly.  Certainly the people whose job it is to enforce those laws could very well see the violation as grave.
 I think it's an excellent letter, but agree with you (JimH) about the "husband's visa application" part.  You(OP)  don't want to sound like you were hedging your bets.

Just my opinion..

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 01:12:19 PM »
That's all that will fit! Then when they ask me about it at my appointment, I'll emphasize that

The strategy of explaining it part-way on the form and relying on the interview to bring out the rest of the explantion is weak because it excludes significant information.  It places an onus on the ECO to collect the rest of the information, and if something significant emerges,it will go in your transcript however they want to put it.  And if they have to ask further questions in order to get the bottom of it, then in their minds they will be having to drag the information out of you - regardless of how forthcoming and cooperative you are.  And if you leave it for them to get to the bottom of it, it defeats your whole purpose, no?

The notion that there's not enough room to put a satisfying explanation is kak.  Use an additional sheet.  The objective is to mitigate a credibility problem, and for that you need to get to the root issues of what's going to be worrying them when they see your app.  It's vital that the interview needs to be a rehash of what's already known, tieing up loose ends and what-not, and going half-way doesn't accomplish that...

Saf's comment is especially astute, eloquent - it's surprising in here sometimes! 

Why not try another draft? 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 01:23:11 PM »
Everything everyone else said plus if there isn't room on the E form do it the old fashioned way with pen and paper and add an extra page like Garry says.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 02:12:08 PM »
So, the best course of action, then, is to forget using the e-fastrack form (since there's not enough room) and just send it to the consulate by mail? If I do that (and it would be great to be able to include the extra sheet with info about the overstay), then will it be processed in time for my appointment? I'd send it probably tomorrow (Thursday) and my appointment is next Friday the 3rd.

On the consulate's website, it seems to suggest either doing it via e-fastrack and then mailing the docs or submitting them in person. Can I avoid using e-fastrack althogether(no room for overstay explanation) and just mail the application, then present the supporting docs at interview? Will that work, considering my appintment is next Friday?

• Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 02:21:42 PM »
You don't have to get the application to the consulate before your appointment (unless you want to use FastTrack) -- if you'd feel more comfortable, just take your (completed) application along with your supporting documents.  That way, you could explain your overstay in person rather than agonising over what to write.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 02:40:04 PM »
Thanks Lola. I would like to use e-fastrack. Lora suggested that I use e-fastrack, but also mail a separate letter explaining my overstay. That way, I can have enough space to explain myself properly, but also inform them of my reasoning before I get to the Consulate.

This seems like the best solution, right?

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 02:43:37 PM »
I guess that's the best way if you want to cover all your bases.  I personally wouldn't submit the fastrack application and would wait to discuss it in person because I communicate better that way.  If you'd feel more comfortable doing the letter, though, then by all means, do it!  Best of luck!   :)

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 02:46:24 PM »
Is it better/worse to wait and submit everything in person? Will it then take longer? The pros would be being able to explain everything completely. What are the cons?

Or should I just submit the e-fastrack application and then bring an explanation letter with me to my appointment? If I do that, should I include any explanation of my overstay on the e-fastrack form (which, as Garry points out, would be an undesirably short explanation due to lack of space) or should I just put down the dates of my overstay without explanation, and explain everything at my appointment?

Aaarrrgggghh.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 02:50:02 PM »
If you're dead set on doing the fastrack, include the short statement of why you overstayed.  They know you'll be coming in for your appointment and will ask you about it then.  If they need to contact you before then, they'll give you a call.

If you don't do the fastrack, you can just bring everything with you to the appointment.  If you think you'd get flustered trying to explain the overstay, type up a letter of explanation.  The actual process takes about 5-10 minutes if your case is straightforward, but if they need more info, they'll take their time and ask for it.

It's really a matter of what will make you feel most comfortable.  Just try to be calm through this process -- it really isn't as bad as you think it'll be!  Promise!   ;)

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 02:59:42 PM »
Thank you so much for all the advice! If it won't make a difference time-wise, I think I'll take Lola's advice and just bring everything with me and apply in-person next week. It'll make me feel more comfortable, I think, especially since my husband will be with me. :)

I'll let you know how it goes, and, as always, more advice is welcome anytime!

(I'll be so glad when this is over and I've got that visa in my hand *fingers crossed*)

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 03:01:19 PM »
Once you've got it, you'll feel silly for being so stressed about it.  I couldn't believe how simple the process really was and was like "Is that it?!" when we left the consulate -- hardly seemed worth the nine solid months of stress leading up to it!

You'll be fine!   :)

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 05:40:21 PM »
Sorry for being the stupid one. But, I had no idea that it is this bad. My hubby and I are here for 2 yrs, due too his job, probably like most of everyone using this site. I must say when the 2 yrs or shorter are up I am going to be glad to go home (i will miss the different foods here). This topic scares me to death. However, my hubby's work got him connected with someone who took care of everything that pertained to coming to the UK. My hubby filled in the blanks. You know the worst is that if something happened to him while in the UK. I would have no clue as to what to do.
Why does everything have to be the hard way. They need to produce a manual or book on this topic. Like the worse case scenario.
I really find this message board great and very informative. A way to here others horror stories. Don't mean that is a bad way. Just very enlightening.

jsayegh
Back Home,
JSayegh

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 09:55:28 PM »
Sorry for being the stupid one. But, I had no idea that it is this bad. My hubby and I are here for 2 yrs, due too his job, probably like most of everyone using this site. I must say when the 2 yrs or shorter are up I am going to be glad to go home (i will miss the different foods here). This topic scares me to death. However, my hubby's work got him connected with someone who took care of everything that pertained to coming to the UK. My hubby filled in the blanks. You know the worst is that if something happened to him while in the UK. I would have no clue as to what to do.
Why does everything have to be the hard way. They need to produce a manual or book on this topic. Like the worse case scenario.
I really find this message board great and very informative. A way to here others horror stories. Don't mean that is a bad way. Just very enlightening.

jsayegh

It's not hard to get over here at all (so long as you're doing it legally).  I'm here because it was far easier for me to get into the UK than it would have been to get my husband into the US.

Sponsored Links