Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Enough Financial Support??  (Read 586 times)

• Liked: 0
Enough Financial Support??
« on: May 02, 2005, 02:12:09 PM »
Hi everyone,

In a few weeks, my husband (UK) and I (US) will apply for my settlement visa at the NYC consulate. For those of you with previous experience, could you give me your opinion on whether our financial situation will satisfy them?

I will have about $4000 in savings. He has no savings, but might have a few hundred in checking. He will probably be able to get his old job back as soon as he gets to London, but the boss won't write any sort of letter commiting himself to giving my husband a job, since he works in a teaching market (EFL) that goes more on short-term contracts than long-term job offers. I'm a student and will have proof that I'll be studying in London. If we bring in my savings evidence and both our CVs, will that be enough? Or will we need a co-sponsor? If so, what kind of proof will the co-sponsor need to provide?

Thanks!

• Liked: 0
Re: Enough Financial Support??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 07:36:02 PM »
Hi

When we applied for our spousal visa i couldn't find any info on EXACTLY how much money was needed, so....this is the theory i worked on and when i presented it to the lady in the consulate she said that was fine.

The government decides how much the minimum a person/couple need to live off of when paying out social security claims. This is what you would get if you were on income support.

Weekly amounts:

Personal allowances for single people:
 April 2005

aged 16-17
 £33.85

or depending on their circumstances
 £44.50

aged 18-24
 £44.50

aged 25 or over
 £56.20

Personal allowances for couples:
both aged 18 or over
 £88.15

So if you can cover yourselves for that much money per week i cant see that they could complain. You will still have to show you can cover the rent and council tax (which is different in all areas)

Having a co-sponser always helps...we had my mum for backup and i took a letter from her stating she would offer financial support until we were on our feet and some of her bank statements to prove she had the money. Having said that, they didn't even ask for a letter of support, they were happy with our situation (and i was on benefits at the time)

Hope some of that helps a bit....good luck

Jules
Look but don't touch! Touch but don't tase! Taste but don't swallow! And while you're hopping about from one foot to the other, he's up there laughing his sick f#@king a$$ off - Al Pacino

Sponsored Links