Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello from Utah!  (Read 253 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello from Utah!
« on: April 30, 2024, 03:46:45 PM »
I'm a US citizen and my wife is a recent UK citizen, via her mother, and we're looking at a long term UK stay of at least one year. The thought is we'll better able to figure out if a permanent move is in the cards. We have "lived" in the UK, Zew Zealand and a few other places for 30+/- days at a time. We really enjoyed Scotland and have some friends near Glasgow, we also some family in Derby and a few English friends across the South. I can work remotely for my US company and she would have to find a UK job while we set-up our British infrastructure and network. Any pointers while we study the archives will be more than welcome! Just wanted to say "Hello!"

• Liked: 425
Hello from Utah!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 05:50:37 PM »
Hello and welcome! Where in Utah? Salt lake?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 0
Re: Hello from Utah!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 06:02:17 PM »
Close enough! Just a little south in the burbs. If anyone wants to house swap for a bit, please let me know!  ;D

• Liked: 425
Hello from Utah!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 06:30:10 PM »
Close enough! Just a little south in the burbs. If anyone wants to house swap for a bit, please let me know!  ;D
I went to High School in Tooele!
I don’t think that you would be able to stay here for a year, as a visitor the maximum time allowed is 6 months. Also, you can’t work……even remotely (at least I don’t think you can).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 06:36:05 PM by Rick Stephens »

• Liked: 681
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 12:52:03 AM »
I went to High School in Tooele!
I don’t think that you would be able to stay here for a year, as a visitor the maximum time allowed is 6 months. Also, you can’t work……even remotely (at least I don’t think you can).

Working remotely for a US firm while in the UK is a HUGE can of worms. Technically there's nothing to stop you, but if the UK government finds out, oy!  That'd be problematic.

But if the OP managed to come in on a Spouse visa, they could work, right? Just not on a Visitor visa.  And, of course, not remotely for the US firm unless that US firm has a presence in the UK and pays the applicable taxes, etc.?

• Liked: 723
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 08:08:35 AM »
Working remotely for a US firm while in the UK is a HUGE can of worms. Technically there's nothing to stop you, but if the UK government finds out, oy!  That'd be problematic.

But if the OP managed to come in on a Spouse visa, they could work, right? Just not on a Visitor visa.  And, of course, not remotely for the US firm unless that US firm has a presence in the UK and pays the applicable taxes, etc.?

I agree, the right to work is really important, regardless of who you work for. Provided you have that right to work I don’t think it matters too much in the short term of a year or so who you work for as long as all income is declared at tax time.

When my daughter moved over in November 2022 she continued to work remotely for her US firm for 9 months before they eventually opened a UK office and started paying her locally.  Her first UK tax filing for the 22/23 tax year was 100% US source income but she paid UK taxes on it and claimed it back as foreign tax credits in the US 2023 tax return. This coming UK tax filing she will have a mix of income from the US firm and also it’s UK office.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab