Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FIL and the breadmaker!  (Read 583 times)

• Liked: 2
FIL and the breadmaker!
« on: August 31, 2004, 01:48:09 PM »
I'm in TOTAL shock!!!   :o

Many of you don't know the pains I've had to endure when dealing with my FIL.  He lives with us.  He's 87.  He's VERY GOOD at being 87! :-X

Well -- he had a birthday and hubs and I decided to get him a Bread machine.  He's in need of a "project" during the day as his mobility is decreasing and we've said that it's better that he NOT go out and about when we're not home......he's a wanderer.

Anyhooo....  We presented him with the Bread Machine and he's been pouring over the instructions ALL weekend.  (I had to photocopy the booklet so it's in larger print)  Yesterday he made the very FIRST loaf -- and he LOVED it!  All that fussing about and watching it knead the dough and BAKING it --  he's really found his "calling."

He's one of those GRUMPY old men who loves to bellyache about everything.  >:D Nothing is this world is right for him-- until NOW!

I know this is silly to be excited about -- but if you knew FIL -- you would be in total amazement too!!!   [smiley=chef.gif]

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
Re: FIL and the breadmaker!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 02:00:35 PM »
Woo Hoo!! Glad you found a hit!!!

Helena

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 02:01:53 PM »
Hey, great choice.  Keeps FIL busy and you get fresh bread to boot!
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 03:09:24 PM »
Yay! :D Sounds like you found the perfect toy for him. ;) God if I bought one of those for my grandma (who thankfully doesn't live with me ;D) I'd have to spend the entire week showing her how to use it over and over until she'd finally give up and say she doesn't understand "all this technology stuff". ::) I just spent a day trying to get her new answering machine to work....took it back to the store and exchanged it because it wouldn't work....just to find out she had ANOTHER (old and half broken) answering machine hooked up in another room and THAT'S why the new one wouldn't work. :-X

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 03:33:06 PM »
That sounds so great!  Now you can get him bread-making stuff for all the holidays, too!

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 03:33:42 PM »
Oh thats great! Im so glad you were able to find something for him to work on. I would have never thought about getting a breadmaker for my grandmother. She is 88 and lives with my mom. Wonder if she could manage it? I have my old US breadmaker here just gathering dust.

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 04:45:18 PM »
I am SO IMPRESSED that he has taken to it and loves it. That is wonderful. My DH's parents are both 80, and can you believe that they have never owned a pop-up toaster? They've always used the grill and it is getting hard for them to stoop over to use it. So when we were there last weekend we bought them a toaster. You never saw the like of fussing and concern about how to operate this contraption. The next morning, DH's mum decides to use the grill because she is afraid of the toaster.  I hope they get over their fear of the thing but I suspect it will go right back in the box and into the spare room with the tumble dryer DH's sister bought them years ago that they are also afraid to use.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 04:48:44 PM »
Oh Carla, thats a cute story!  ;D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 08:45:41 AM »
I had to share this with everyone!  I got home last night and FIL had made ANOTHER loaf of bread -- AND  :o (!!!!)   :o he asked if I could get some raisins today so he can make cinnamon/raisin bread!!!!! :o !!!!!!!!  OMG!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
The hubs and I looked at each other in TOTAL disbelief!!!  The OF really likes the bread machine -- AND he's using it!!!!!!!   :o

This is SUCH a major BBBBBBBBB F D!    :o We've had sky for almost 2 years and he's JUST learned to FLICK.  I showed him the history channel a few months ago and now (like within the past 2 weeks) he mentions something he's watched!!!  :o PROGRESS!!!!

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 09:59:20 AM »
Hey, if you find that you have absolutely no room for that cinnamon raisin bread, I know certain family in Hertfordshire that will take it off your hands.   ;D
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

Sponsored Links