Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Apples, apples, apples!!  (Read 776 times)

Apples, apples, apples!!
« on: September 06, 2004, 05:38:35 PM »
Okay, you guys, I'm getting desperate here!! I have 3 apple trees that have gone berserk this year, with all the rain. I have a cooking apple, granny smith and some red kind (they were here when I moved in).

So far, I've made apple pies and apple crumbles, have made one BIG batch of apple butter and will make one more, but there are many more apples to go and I don't want them to go to waste!!

I need EASY ideas!!!!!!!!! Help???????? [smiley=chef.gif]

Re: Apples, apples, apples!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 05:52:25 PM »
Apple bread.  Yum.   :)

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 05:57:56 PM »
Apple cookies...apple fruit leather...apple sauce...grilled porkcops with spiced apples...baked apples with brown sugar and raisins...apple pancakes...

Too many apples is a dilema I could be happy with!

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 06:06:23 PM »
mmmmmm... hot apple pie with melted sharp cheddar cheese... mmmm... think i'll go make one  ;D
It's the difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Lipstick? Where woman? There is no lipstick!
She wasn't kissing your lips my darling

What's it gonna be Merv?
Interesting deal
She'll do it. If she has to kill everyone in this room. She'll do it. She's in love.
*sigh*
It's amazing how the path of love is so alike to the path of insanity

2gether 4ever Jo & Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 06:13:58 PM »
Frances- apple fruit leather???????? Pray tell??

I'm also looking for things that all the family can enjoy, and that includes my dear diabetic hubby. Having just attempted my second batch of apple butter (which I love), I'm pondering on the use of Splenda.. Has anyone ever used it in large quantities, like over 1 cup?

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 07:31:13 PM »
What about apple sauce? 

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 07:49:10 PM »
Do you not have a cool, dry cupboard you can store some of them in? We used to apple pick in the States and store them for months. They weren't always the best to eat after being stored a bit, but were fab for cooking.

Also, try www.epicurious.com for apple recipes.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 08:31:07 PM »
fruit leather is the old fashioned word for what you might know as fruit roll ups--but leather is better. You spread the pureed fruit out and dry it in a dehydrator or the oven.

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 10:51:19 PM »
fruit leather is the old fashioned word for what you might know as fruit roll ups--but leather is better. You spread the pureed fruit out and dry it in a dehydrator or the oven.

Yeah--what she said.  If you cook it in the oven, spread the fruit onto wax paper or bakers paper...

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 12:37:42 AM »
Cider!

You can never have too much of that.. unless its all at once!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 12:39:43 AM by minty »

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 06:34:11 AM »
Thanks for some of the suggestions, guys. I'll do a bit more surfing tonite for ideas. Unless my garage can sub as a cupboard, I'm up a creek to store them!

Cider.......mmmmmmmm, now that's an idea!

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 09:40:22 AM »
I've never seen a Food Bank here in the UK.  Does anyone know if there is such a thing?  ???

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004, 09:48:02 AM »
Thanks for some of the suggestions, guys. I'll do a bit more surfing tonite for ideas. Unless my garage can sub as a cupboard, I'm up a creek to store them!

Might as well try it. If you can get hold of some burlap bags or something to keep them it?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2004, 10:16:46 AM »
That's an idea. I remember years ago, my inlaws had a bumper crop of potatoes and onions. Given potatoes/onions when sitting on each other, tend to bruise and go bad, I put them all in old pantyhose legs with a rubber band between each one. It worked great, even if it did look a weird when the garage door was open!!!!!!!!! LOL

I have a captive audience this weekend for a farewell BBQ, so will treat them to loads of apple products.....one way to help deplete the supply :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 10:27:11 AM »
Sherry

My mom makes diabetic preserves for my dad. Too much Splenda can give it a slightly bitter taste.  To overcome that you just cook the fruit down in it's own juices for quite a while longer than the normal time.  Add the Splenda at the last moment before canning and once it has cooled slightly.  She does not have recipes but just plays with her own.

Hope that helps.  :) 
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links