Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brown Sugar woes....  (Read 1034 times)

• Liked: 1
Brown Sugar woes....
« on: September 09, 2004, 09:24:59 AM »
Okay so maybe woe is a strong word....BUT.... can someone explain what the equivalent of US brown light/dark is in the UK?

I mean there is light brown sugar-soft and muscovado and dark brown and dark brown muscavado and a few others. 

So I bought light soft brown sugar and it does not clump together as much as US light brown sugar.  Should I have bought the muscavado light brown?

Still I have used it and it seems to give a similar result......

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Brown Sugar woes....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 09:36:12 AM »
The soft brown sugar that I've used in the past is equally as lumpy as the stuff I used in the US.  Maybe I just got the lucky lumpy box.  ;D
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 09:44:16 AM »
lol.....

if you don't like it lump it I guess.... well I still don't get the muscavado thing....

maybe I can find links....

hmmmm... wanders off...
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 09:58:42 AM »
"Muscovado sugar  (also called Barbados or moist sugar) :   Muscovado sugar, a British specialty brown sugar, is very dark brown and has a particularly strong molasses flavor. The crystals are slightly coarser and stickier in texture than "regular" brown sugar.

Light and Dark brown muscovado sugars contain molasses; the darker the colour is, the more molasses and therefore the stronger the flavour. They are used in the same way as light and dark brown soft sugars. (if you can’t get muscovado, use a good quality dark brown sugar)"

Well there ya go... just depends on how molassasy (made up word by me) you want the food in question. 

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 10:10:03 AM »
You, woman, are barking mad!

I think I use the light muscovado. ;D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 12:03:51 PM »
Hee hee hee hee.. well if that's what goes into those brownies of yours then I shall run, not walk, (hell I can drive to the Superstore) and get some of that muscavodo sugar.

:)

Sponsored Links