Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR and citizenship questions  (Read 113 times)

• Liked: 0
ILR and citizenship questions
« on: May 09, 2024, 08:20:17 AM »
Hello-

I know that some of this is covered extensively elsewhere, but I've got a few specifics to confirm.

• Is the IRL application open 28 days prior to the first day I landed in the UK, or 28 days from when the visa was first granted? I landed about 14 days after the visa was first granted, so depending on this answer I may be eligible to apply for ILR 14 days earlier.
  • Correspondence has to be dated back 2.5 years every 5 months from at least 3 sources, so if I have energy bills and bank statements in both names spaced evenly, and then a smattering of NHS for each of us randomly (not evenly) would this suffice? Mail is hard to come by in this digital age.
  • After I am granted IRL, I understand that I can apply for citizenship immediately as I am a spouse of a citizen, but would my 14 year old son have to wait 1 year (of having ILR) before he can apply? My wife (his mom) is a citizen by descent (her mom was born in the UK but my wife was born in the US).
  • I've seen elsewhere on the forum that if a child is included on an ILR application, that a piece of mail addressed to them has to be included with the application. Is that true? I don't se that on the UK gov site anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions!
Married : 1/8/2003
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 12/3/2019
Biometrics appointment : 22/3/2019
Documents sent to NY : 22/3/2019
Docs received in Sheffield email : 26/3/2019
Decision made email: 17/6/2019
Visa Decision: YES

• Liked: 6112
Re: ILR and citizenship questions
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 08:30:59 AM »
Hello-

I know that some of this is covered extensively elsewhere, but I've got a few specifics to confirm.

• Is the IRL application open 28 days prior to the first day I landed in the UK, or 28 days from when the visa was first granted? I landed about 14 days after the visa was first granted, so depending on this answer I may be eligible to apply for ILR 14 days earlier.
  • Correspondence has to be dated back 2.5 years every 5 months from at least 3 sources, so if I have energy bills and bank statements in both names spaced evenly, and then a smattering of NHS for each of us randomly (not evenly) would this suffice? Mail is hard to come by in this digital age.
  • After I am granted IRL, I understand that I can apply for citizenship immediately as I am a spouse of a citizen, but would my 14 year old son have to wait 1 year (of having ILR) before he can apply? My wife (his mom) is a citizen by descent (her mom was born in the UK but my wife was born in the US).
  • I've seen elsewhere on the forum that if a child is included on an ILR application, that a piece of mail addressed to them has to be included with the application. Is that true? I don't se that on the UK gov site anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions!

As you entered on a spouse visa, you can apply from 28 days before the 5 year anniversary of your arrival in the country.

Try to get the spacing as even as possible by using your bank statements and energy bills, then throw in a couple of  NHS letters as your third item in addition. I think it's better to do that than leave too big of a gap.

Yes, you don't have to wait a year. I'll leave the child questions for someone else.

• Liked: 344
Re: ILR and citizenship questions
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 11:39:41 AM »
    After I am granted IRL, I understand that I can apply for citizenship immediately as I am a spouse of a citizen, but would my 14 year old son have to wait 1 year (of having ILR) before he can apply? My wife (his mom) is a citizen by descent (her mom was born in the UK but my wife was born in the US).[/li]
    [li]I've seen elsewhere on the forum that if a child is included on an ILR application, that a piece of mail addressed to them has to be included with the application. Is that true? I don't se that on the UK gov site anywhere.[/li]
    [/list]

I think you should ask a poster called secretsimon on https://immigrationboards.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=6a7b8089ff3eb7e806e33d23c0500693 or read some of his posts on when a parent is a  British citizen by descent, lives in the UK for 3 years in a row and their child is under age 18 when they can Register that child as a British citizen. He will be able to tell you the pros and cons of the best route for your son. He knows the British Nationality laws and all the recent changes to right the wrong of the changes for children of females. He will be able to provide you with the links to back what he says.
    « Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 05:37:42 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links