Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: "Getting the story straight"  (Read 1008 times)

• Liked: 0
"Getting the story straight"
« on: March 08, 2007, 07:23:31 PM »
Well, hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

I often worry about what I'm going to say or do when the time finaly comes to travel to the US and Marry my Fiancee.
We've been through it a few times and with advice from people on this board we seem to think that this is the way to go.

Not to apply for a Fiancee Visa at all, but just to come over and get married, and then obtain a spousal visa for her to come back with me.

Is this actually the way to go about it? I'm just worried about getting caught out at immigration or whatever when they ask what I'm vistiting for.

Thankyou in Advance, and here's to hoping that we actually have got this right!

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
Re: "Getting the story straight"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:11:48 PM »
I know it seems so weird that this is okay to do ...but honestly it is..many here have done it. The thing that US immigration is concerned about is that you intend to settle in the US they don't care if you are marrying as long as you convince them you will be returning to the UK. I personally would bring anything you have to convince them of this...possibly a letter from your employer stating your expected date to return to work. Definately a return plan ticket.

Hope that helps a bit.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 10:00:04 PM »
My DH (the Brit) & I did this.  Mainly because it was just an enormous waste of money for him to go to the states on a Fiance Visa when we were moving me over here to the UK.  We just needed to keep his dad (the gobby one) mute at immigration.  He kept telling everyone he met that we were getting married in Hook County: I lived in Cuyahoga County (don't ask how its pronounced) in Cleveland, OH!   ::)  Can you tell he likes John Wayne movies?  Just don't mention anything about getting married when going through immigration.  My in-laws just said they were coming over to meet my parents before we actually got married as things were getting serious...

No, in all honesty though, don't worry about it.  (I know, easier said than done.)  Just bring as much of your documentation as possible with you when going to the states (and for peace of mind keep the documents on you ie. backpack) instead of in checked luggage.  Just be sure of the residency requirements of the state and county that you'll be getting married in well in advance so you don't get any hitches to your plans.  I know when we applied for our marriage licence they loved DH's British Birth Certificate as it gives more info than the ones here!

Which state are you getting married in - just out of curiosity & nosiness.   ;D  And which airport will you be going through immigration?

Good luck & peace of mind!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:03:21 PM by Criostin »

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 07:39:24 PM »
Getting married in Ohio, most likely going through Immigration at Detroit again

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 03:49:34 PM »
We did exactly the same thing - My Brit came to Ohio, we got married, he went back, I applied for a Spousal Visa and now I'm living with him in London - easy peasy.
It makes WAY more sense than anything else, especially if money is an issue (ie: paying for a fiancee visa and a spousal visa as opposed to just one).  And it is honestly completely legal.  It doesn't mean she gets to go "back with you" immediately, unless you apply in person or are sticking around for a few weeks and send your application straight off.  As for
getting caught out at immigration or whatever when they ask what I'm vistiting for.
even that isn't an issue - and you have no reason to lie about what you are visiting for because it is LEGAL and ALLOWED!!!  Once you realise that you won't need to worry.  My Fiancee simply told the truth - "I'm here to get married so we can settle in the UK" and showed his return ticket home.  He had a letter from his employer too, but they didn't ask for it - just let him through.  In my opinion, you're much better off telling the truth then coming up with another reason for "why you're visiting" and maybe getting nervous and suspicious.  That being said, you don't have to volunteer the info, just say "I'm here to see so-and-so" and if they ask to elaborate, do so.
It's OK!!  What you are doing is right and everything will be fine.

PS - don't know if it applies to you, but in Franklin County you can pre-register online (fill in the licence forms) so that when you go to the court house, you skip the queue, show id, swear to not being drunk or related, give them $40 and they send you on your way.  Makes it a lot quicker and easier - We got our licence and married the same day.
And I'm thinkin' if you were mine,
I'd never let you go,
And that would be just beautiful I know
Beautiful to take a chance,
And if you fall, you fall
And I'm thinkin'
I wouldn't mind at all . . . (Billie Holiday)

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 05:58:52 PM »
It is really easy and nothing to worry about. DH was upfront about it and the immigration officer just asked if he was settling in the USA and he said no and she let him through. He did have a letter from his employer stating he was expected back at work and a copy of the mortgage.

We went on our honeymoon in Canada and when we came back into the USA we got questioned a little (in the car), but even then the officer said "are you going to file from within the USA then?"

Every official he/we encountered was really nice and said "congratulations!"
12/08/09 - Citizenship submitted via NCS
17/08/09 - Payment taken from account
18/09/09 - Citizenship approved, invitation to ceremony, dated 12/09/09
03/11/09 - Citizenship ceremony

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 09:52:04 PM »
I'm from Cuyahoga County and we got married in Hocking County.  We waited the week's period to get our marriage certificate, then went to Chicago in person and got my visa the same day!  Stupid me, I booked my flight for weeks after the visit at the consulate (just in case), but ended up kicking myself in the backside.

Sorry, have no experience with Detroit's immigration service, although the airport is awesome!

• Midwestern Yank
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 03:41:01 AM »
*is the Ohian fiancee he is referring to :)*
(this is a bit off topic...but...)

Do any of you who got married in Ohio know then if you have to apply for the license in your "home county" (we're marrying in state, so there's no need to go to the whole "get the license in the exact county you'll be marrying" deal) or can you get it from any?  My hometown is Paulding, and they have that annoying wait 5 days after applying til you get your license thing, and I was wondering if we could just get it elsewhere and it'd still work, i.e. next county over (such as Defiance).

I would just get it in Wood County since I'm in school there with a local address in BG, but I'll be moving out of my apartment in May and we're not marrying until October.
Dec 7, 2007 - Moved to UK
Feb 15, '11-Citizenship ceremony
March 8, '11-UK passport received

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »
Always tell the truth. Then they have no reason to not let you in. Unfortunately i had to learn that the hard way  :-[ Like everyone else has said just make sure you have you're return ticket, a letter from your employer. If they do question you mention any assets back home like your car, lease on apartment, or mortgage on your home that you couldn't just up and leave. Also emphasize that you and you're wife will be settling in the UK.

I really doubt that they'd give you a hard time being that you're from the UK. If you were from mexico than yes, but then again they'd just run across the border.

Congrats on getting married!

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 01:25:29 PM »
My hometown is Paulding, and they have that annoying wait 5 days after applying til you get your license thing

Are you sure about the five days?  I was told that the no waiting period to get it was a state wide thing.... I could be wrong but you might want to call your county office and check.
And I'm thinkin' if you were mine,
I'd never let you go,
And that would be just beautiful I know
Beautiful to take a chance,
And if you fall, you fall
And I'm thinkin'
I wouldn't mind at all . . . (Billie Holiday)

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 01:37:28 PM »

I really doubt that they'd give you a hard time being that you're from the UK. If you were from mexico than yes, but then again they'd just run across the border.

sorry for the hijack, and I don't want to start a heated debate but as much as I tried to ignore my reaction to this, I can't. I feel a comment about immigrants from Mexico that implies that they all arrive to the US by just running across the border is out of order. There are many legal immigrants from Mexico in the US just as we Americans want to be legal immigrants in the US.

• Midwestern Yank
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 05:40:43 PM »
Are you sure about the five days?  I was told that the no waiting period to get it was a state wide thing.... I could be wrong but you might want to call your county office and check.

Hmm, I guess I'll call and ask...I'd run across it somewhere (and of course I can't find it now, go figure!) online, but I'll definately look into it.  Getting it same day would be so much less hassle.
Dec 7, 2007 - Moved to UK
Feb 15, '11-Citizenship ceremony
March 8, '11-UK passport received

Sponsored Links