Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sending in the FLR (M) form this week... what happens next?  (Read 1028 times)

• Liked: 0
Sending in the FLR (M) form this week... what happens next?
« on: March 13, 2007, 01:53:32 PM »
We were married yesterday and will be sending in the completed FLR(M) form tomorrow or the day after (depends on finances). What should we expect to happen after that? How long does it usually take? I've been here 3.5 months on a fiance visa. I now have my NHS card. What new rights will I have with the FLR? I've been told that it will entitle me to work-- will I have to make a separate application for a work visa? What about voting rights?

Also, what's the next step in the process after the FLR(M)? I've had the impression that about every two years or so, I'm supposed apply for a different visa, and that each one gives more priviledges, working my way towards citizenship and a new passport. Is this correct?

Finally, how does name-changing work in all of this? At some point, I would like to officially change my name both in the US and here, but I'm afraid of mucking up the process.

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance!
It's so green!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Sending in the FLR (M) form this week... what happens next?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »
Once you get your leave to remain as a spouse (which will take about 4 weeks if applying by post) then you will be able to work without the need to apply for any other permits.  That's really the only difference.

In two years time you will be able to apply for ILR (permanent residency) providing you have passed the 'Life in the UK' test.  Once you have ILR and have been int he UK a total of 3 years (including time on the fiancee visa) you can apply for naturalisation as British.

You won't have the right to vote until you have naturalised.

Under UK law, you have already legally changed your name, by virtue of your marriage.  You are now legally able to call yourself Miss Maidenname or Mrs MarriedName, whichever you prefer.

Vicky

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 02:03:26 PM »
just to add to vick's response:

after (2) years when you apply for ILR, you will ALSO need to show that you & your husband have lived in the UK, together.  this is shown through items of mail that have both your name on it, or through pieces that tie you to the same address.  SO... start saving offial docunments- utility bills, nhs forms, insurance letters, fan clubs, nhs rx... anything that has your name & address on.  once you recieve your ILR, there's no need to apply for any additional visa, and there's no requirement to go for citizenship.  

If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 02:10:27 PM »
Thanks so much, Victoria! That's such a relief!

My OH thought that I might be able to vote at county and Welsh National Assembly elections at some point in the process before naturalization. Ah well. Even though I'm not entitled to vote, do I still have a voice with my MP?

So in my case, I'll be able to apply for naturalization less than a year after getting my IRL. Wow! OH had also thought the whole process would take something like 8 years. That's awesome! Obviously, OH is not a trustworthy source on visa information. :lol:

The name-change information you just gave explains a lot about why the Registrar insisted on calling me "Mrs. __", even though I had already told her that I wouldn't be changing my surname. What both my OH and I would like to do is take each other's surname as a second middle name. But considering the whole naturalization process is so short, and our name changes will be so subtle, maybe it would be best to wait until after I'm naturalized. Do you think there'll be any problems? How hard is it to change your name in your US passport?

Oh! And how long can you keep your home state driver's license for? (Sorry for all of the questions-- this thread is kinda all over the place. I'm just really excited!)

Thanks again for all of the help!

Great tip, meggles! I'll start adding bits and pieces to my visa folder!
It's so green!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:13:54 PM »
Going formely double barrelled may well involve a Deed Poll change of name.

Even though you do not have the right to vite, you absolutely have a voice with your MP.  Members of Parliament represent every one of their constituents, regardless of their immigration status or ability to vote.  They work for you, don't forget that!

Vicky

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:35:51 PM »
Thanks so much for your help. :)
It's so green!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab