Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Issues with UPakWeShip?  (Read 2995 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Issues with UPakWeShip?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 06:24:18 PM »
A little late to this party but I brought my KitchenAid Mixer over from the US and we got a converter for it to work over here.  It works just fine.

I use my macbook pro on a power converter, nothing untoward has happened with it in 3 years. It's still going just fine.

It's a converter I bought in the US for under $20.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »
I use my macbook pro on a power converter, nothing untoward has happened with it in 3 years. It's still going just fine.

It's a converter I bought in the US for under $20.

There shouldn't be any need to use a converter for a laptop, though - they're designed to work with worldwide voltages. You just need a 3-pin US-UK adapter so you can plug it into the wall.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
There shouldn't be any need to use a converter for a laptop, though - they're designed to work with worldwide voltages. You just need a 3-pin US-UK adapter so you can plug it into the wall.

Yeah I took my (now super old) Dell with me when I moved and used my husband's charger for it. Eventually got a universals charger for like £20 - £40 (can't remember now) at Argos and it worked like a charm for all our different laptops (US and UK) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »
Wow, that's pretty good! Is your office out on the outskirts somewhere?
Hah not even! It's like the only perk they give us though it seems. We have a coach to and from the station in the morning/afternoon (which I used before we moved and I drove and it was handy as heck!) and one that goes to the town centre missy/wed/fri and a different town centre tues/thurs. yet there's STILL so much complaining about it by people! Lol

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »
It's a Mac... You have to pay Apple stupid money for a new cord. And a converter for $15-20 was WAY cheaper.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 958
Issues with UPakWeShip?
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »
It's a Mac... You have to pay Apple stupid money for a new cord. And a converter for $15-20 was WAY cheaper.

My Mac power supply is fine using the super cheap 3-prong converter, as was my work thinkpad. Most power adapters are universal now for laptops! (Even my 10 year old thinkpad was)

• Liked: 16
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2017, 09:13:17 PM »
Here is a link to a voltage converter that I purchased so that I can bring my stereo system...I hated the thought of having to buy new stuff, so I got this for $39., but I won't know if it works until we're over there. I expect it will do, though. I checked to make sure the wattage it can deliver is more than the components will need, but we will see.

Here's a link, for what it's worth:

• Liked: 210
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 03:41:27 AM »
You are going to love the UK!  There's nothing to complain about here.

So I didn't answer this comment earlier, but I am still taken aback but your sarcasm. I'm not sure why you felt this comment was appropriate or helpful. At an incredibly stressful time when I potentially lost the only connection I have to my late father, thanks to incompetence of shippers, you chose to be snarky.

Sometimes, it might be easier just to walk away instead of saying the unkind comment.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »
So I didn't answer this comment earlier, but I am still taken aback but your sarcasm. I'm not sure why you felt this comment was appropriate or helpful. At an incredibly stressful time when I potentially lost the only connection I have to my late father, thanks to incompetence of shippers, you chose to be snarky.

Sometimes, it might be easier just to walk away instead of saying the unkind comment.
Sorry about that, I really didn't mean it to make you feel worse. 

• Liked: 958
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 05:08:36 AM »
FYI, the actual moving day was an incredible nightmare.

Our assigned person refused to answer questions, and I had to ask to be given someone else.

The company Upak contracted to pick up my pallet nearly broke my shipment (as in almost shoving it over and/or dropping it from the lift several times, and then once PURPOSELY trying to shove it over by hand). Not at all convinced that it won't arrive in pieces at the US terminal, let alone UK.

Got lies and more lies from the contracted company and/or Upak (although the pickup company employees were extremely rude as well, incompetent, and had completely unsafe and inappropriate equipment).

I knew the other disadvantages of Upak when signing on (the limitations they state), but I did not know they contracted pickup to companies that should never be allowed to stay in business. Reflects badly on Upak, and I still wonder if incompetence or lying was on their end as well.

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience with the local company. I hope you file a complaint with the BBB in the US so it's on record and searchable for people in your area in the future. I've ended up needing to sell things to cover medical bills (*sigh - they're never ending*), so I probably won't need to ship nearly as much. I truly hope it arrives safely as I know the sentimental value is much more than the monetary value of the desk.

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »

I responded to the comment but I hadn't seen your original message with what happened so apologies if it came off like I was being a jerk as well (Like I said, I didn't see your follow up, just the post by Jim which I think he meant as a joke because people here are known to love a good moan). I didn't mean to come across that way! Sorry! :(

Also, sorry about the treatment of your stuff! I hope it gets to you safe and sound. Definitely file complains with the BBB as suggested by Margo! Definitely don't take their poor service lying down. Will keep you in my thoughts and hoping it arrives soon!
My, how time flies....

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 09:38:17 PM »
I had a great experience with you pack, we ship. I did a pallet and it came on time, nothing was missing or broken, and I felt like it was for a fair price. I would use them again if I needed to!

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »
FYI, the actual moving day was an incredible nightmare.

Our assigned person refused to answer questions, and I had to ask to be given someone else.

The company Upak contracted to pick up my pallet nearly broke my shipment (as in almost shoving it over and/or dropping it from the lift several times, and then once PURPOSELY trying to shove it over by hand). Not at all convinced that it won't arrive in pieces at the US terminal, let alone UK.

Got lies and more lies from the contracted company and/or Upak (although the pickup company employees were extremely rude as well, incompetent, and had completely unsafe and inappropriate equipment).

I knew the other disadvantages of Upak when signing on (the limitations they state), but I did not know they contracted pickup to companies that should never be allowed to stay in business. Reflects badly on Upak, and I still wonder if incompetence or lying was on their end as well.

Going through the forum and just remembered there was no update to this. Hopefully a positive ending?? :(
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab