Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: renew expired green card  (Read 2160 times)

• Liked: 18
renew expired green card
« on: August 24, 2023, 07:50:16 AM »
So much has happened over the years, we don't even live in the UK anymore, but since my husband is a UK citizen and I'm a US citizen, I thought this might be the best place to ask. We're considering moving back to the US in the next couple of years. We've been gone since 2016. My husband held a green card when we left, he got it in 2009 so it's expired and he hasn't been in the US at all since leaving.

We are thinking the US might be the best option for us and our children, and honestly I regret ever moving away, I feel stuck now. I can't just move back to the US and leave my husband behind, but it's not a simple matter to return with him either I don't think. We have 3 children together, two would still be under 18.

What would the options be? Some websites have said he can renew his green card, which would obviously be the best option, but I wasn't sure how it works since he moved out of the US so long ago.

I've also read if he needs a new visa, it has to be under the same category he originally came under (he went over as my spouse), but our sponsor has since passed away. I don't think there's anyone who we know that would meet the income threshold to sponsor my husband anymore. He is highly skilled in his field so could possibly get a work visa if they'd allow him to change it.

Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

Sponsored Links