Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: An interesting article about gay couples moving to the UK  (Read 1349 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: An interesting article about gay couples moving to the UK
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 09:44:04 AM »
Thank God you're here to point out what the point is in these complex posts, otherwise I suppose we'd all miss the point........

Actually it was good that Britwife gently pointed out the meaning of the article.  I think I did miss the point, I was a little tipsy yesterday afternoon.  I sort of skimmed the article and thought it was being written from the perspective of american same sex couples and I was all confused about how exactly two Americans would find it easier to move to the UK, than live in the US.  However, that said, I have re-read the article and I do wonder if using the term "Exile" is appropriate for this situation.

This will teach me not to post in haste....

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 04:01:30 PM »
However, that said, I have re-read the article and I do wonder if using the term "Exile" is appropriate for this situation.

Well, in a sense, everything in life is a choice.  But I have accepted "exile" from my country in order to pursue my life with my partner.  While we have strong ties to his family, we have stronger ties to my family.  We are uncertain at this point, once we have a mortgage in the UK if ICE is going to allow Simon, my partner, to come into the country again.  If not then I suspect that people will be visiting us in the UK instead of us visiting them and the virtual "exile" would be complete.

There was another article in the same section that goes into what specifically happened with two couples that sounds a lot like exile to me:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gayrights/story/0,,1766951,00.html
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 06:42:02 PM »
You can add me to the list of gay Americans having to move to the UK just to be with their partners. God KNOWS I wasn't ready to leave Manhattan when I did. My EU partner (Italian) was stopped by security at JFK Airport in 2004 and was denied entry due to his multiple visits to the US in a short amount of time. For nearly 2 years, we had to maintain a long distance relationship and it was one of the toughest things I've ever had to do. Our relationship went from seeing each other almost daily to saying "I love you" over the phone every night and my quarterly visits to see him in London. Towards the end of it, our relationship had become so strained that both of us strongly considered going our seperate ways and nearly did. The civil partnership has saved our relationship and we are now stronger than ever and deeply in love. I don't take it for granted for one second and neither does he. I enjoy London and already have a close circle of friends here so the transition wasn't too difficult. I do hate the fact that I can't be completely honest with my mother about the civil partnership due to her being deeply religious. I would love to show her the pictures from our ceremony and reception, but it's a part of my life that I'll have to keep secret for now.

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 06:58:54 PM »
I wish the US would catch up with the UK on this one, but I'm afraid that I think it'll be a long time coming. Remember -- nearly 50% of voting America elected Dubya twice.
And several states (including mine...siiigh) have written things into their state constitutions that define marriage as between one man and one woman.

I couldn't believe that passed in Oregon by  57%.  It seriously just baffles me.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 11:19:24 PM »
I enjoy London and already have a close circle of friends here so the transition wasn't too difficult. I do hate the fact that I can't be completely honest with my mother about the civil partnership due to her being deeply religious. I would love to show her the pictures from our ceremony and reception, but it's a part of my life that I'll have to keep secret for now.

:\\\'(

That's sad!  As a mother, I hope I'm able to share in all my childrens' happinesses, with whomever they find it - so long as their partner is not abusive.  If I have a child as strong as some of you are, I'd be nothing but proud.

Glad you found a way to be together. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 11:32:35 PM by expat_in_scotland »

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 07:52:27 AM »
I lived in Vermont at the time that the Civil Union law went into effect, and there was NOT universal acceptance by any means. In fact, there were some very fierce "bumper sticker wars" between the two sides for the first few months, and a lot of debate about whether it should have gone to the public for a vote instead of being decided by the legislature. After a while I think detractors realised that it didn't radically change their world, towns, or day-to-day lives, and the fervor died down.

Anyways, I'm glad to be moving again to a place that places a greater value on commitment than dogma.  :)

Sponsored Links