Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question About ILR  (Read 597 times)

• Liked: 1
Question About ILR
« on: May 06, 2006, 10:10:36 PM »
Hi all. I've got something I am a bit worried about. I came over on a spouse visa at the end of October, this last year. I'm trying to plan for my ILR as far ahead as possible, of course.....and I am a bit worried about the quality of evidence I have so far. Right after I arrived, I registered with a gp, so that's one thing towards evidence.....but for some reason, I did not recieve a NHS card, only a number assigned to me with the gp, which I thought was odd. I've got quite a few letters from NHS regarding dr.'s appointments, medical test results, especially since I am seeing a rheumatologist at the moment due to severe problems with my legs (I am unable to walk). I also have quite a few cards/letters from family back in the U.S.. I haven't filed for my NI number yet as it's highly difficult for me to work at the moment, between these health issues, transportation issues, and availability of work I can do in the area. My husband has plenty of mail regarding work, job applications, bank statements, e.t.c. I haven't been added on to the bank account yet, though we are planning on doing that asap. Now, for the big worry: we are at present living with my brother-in-law, so we have no council tax, gas bill, water bill, e.t.c.. We don't even have a rental agreement, seeing as we are staying with family. We have nothing with both of our names. So from these items alone, is this at least a  decent start to the ILR documentation? I am planning on trying to find something where I can work at home, I really don't want to just not work, and I know that that would help our situation greatly. Any advice or tips on how to get more valid items for our case? I know I still have a bit of time, but would like to be very well prepared when the time comes. lol Thank you!!  ;D

• Liked: 2
Re: Question About ILR
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »
Hi there,

I think this is a fairly common scenario ... people living with family & not having the bills in their name ... so the Home Office is probably used to it.  Do you have something with your name on it for each month since you arrived, or most months at least?  Get added to the bank account asap, have you been having problems getting the bank to do that?

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 11:05:06 PM »
I'm almost certain I've got at least one item(or more) for each month, but the majority of that would be NHS letters, so medical tests and confirmations of doctor's appointments. My husband is planning on adding me to his account shortly, so that will help. As far as identification, what will they require? What problems should I consider? Thank you for your help!  ;D

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 11:29:32 AM »
You can register for council tax and your name will then be on books and letters.  You can write to the local council asking to be put on the electoral register, and even though you won't be able  to they will write back to you to tell you, and you can use that letter as evidence.

The problem that you face is that they want to see from at least two difference sources.

Victoria

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 01:04:23 PM »
They may also ask why it took so long to get you added to the bank account, so do that pronto or open your own savings account, at least you will get some kind of mail from the bank with your name on it.  (If you look in the Money Maters board there are some threads there about what people have been asked to provide & problems they have come across with various banks).  Also, what about a mobile phone bill? I know it's not the best evidence, but it's better than no evidence.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 01:29:22 PM »
Thank you so much for replying. VictoriaS, I was under the impression that I had to be renting (at least) the home I am living in to register for council tax? I'm still not sure how that works....could you clarify? Britwife, I have actually been a little worried about the time we've taken to add me on, and we are hoping to do so as soon as my husband gets his next paycheck. I will be certain to check out the money matters board to gather a little info regarding that. Unfortunately, I don't have a mobile phone; my husband does, and we've been planning on getting me one, but money has been extremely tight of late... :-\\\\....Anyway, thank you both so much for your advice, I'm thankful for any tips I can get!

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 01:37:16 PM »
I think any adult living in the house can be added to the Council Tax bill -  your BIL just needs to call the council & ask to have your name added.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 01:46:51 PM »
So if he adds me on, I'm assuming I am then considered responsible for the council tax as well? And can I be added on even if we don't have a rental agreement? I'm only asking because my husband and I just don't have the money to be paying anything extra right now....we're in a really tight spot....I know my brother in law handles it fine as is, I'm just worried that if he adds me on, that'll put even more pressure on our financial situation, and we're barely getting by as is. It'd be quite worth it for the evidence, I'm just worried about our finances as is......this must seem a silly worry, as it would be a good piece of evidence, but it's really that rough at the moment! lol It'd be fine if he could add us on and just keep paying as is, but I am also a little worried about asking him.......argh!! lol  :P I'll have to have a talk with my sweetie when he gets home from work, hopefully we can get something worked out with  his brother! lol

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 02:07:35 PM »
The council tax amount is the same flat rate for 2+ adults per household but if your BIL has been claiming the single person (ie he's been living alone until you & your fiance moved in) discount he will no longer be eligible for that.

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 02:39:33 PM »
It is not just that you *can* register for council tax...you *have to*, or you are avading it!

But as Britwife has said, the charge for three of you is the same as the charge for two of you.

Victoria

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 07:29:49 PM »
I had a talk with my sweetie about the council tax issue, and apparently his brother was already paying the amount for 2+ adults; however, since it's my brother-in-law's home and my husband and I are merely staying with him, not renting, neither my husband's nor my name is on the bill. So the council tax is getting paid correctly and for the right number of people, but my brother in law has not put our names on, just that there are 2+ people living here. In any event, I'm hoping that maybe we can get an actual rental agreement worked out with him so that we will officially be renting, and maybe that way he can put our actual names on the bill, both of which would go towards evidence for the ILR. Argh...lol....I'm really so new to all this! Anyway, thank you both again for your replies, I really appreciate your help! ;D

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 08:57:09 PM »
You can (and should) put your names on the bill anyway, really, I promise you. The form asks for the names of all the people living there.

Victoria

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 10:36:53 PM »
I think I'll go ahead and have my husband talk to his brother about putting us on the bill.....better safe than sorry!! lol Thank you again!

Sponsored Links