Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So, would this work?  (Read 634 times)

• Hi, I'm Laura.
  • Liked: 0
So, would this work?
« on: May 08, 2006, 02:03:31 AM »
I'm only being half serious, I think. I probably would never do this (seems like a bit of work) but I was curious about whether or not it would even work.

So I have family living in the UK, my grandparents were born there, etc. And I cannot use an Ancestry visa, because I'm a U.S. citizen and obviously it's not a commonwealth nation.

BUT, let's just say I were to become the citizen of a commonwealth nation (And I know that in itself is a huge undertaking and I can't just "become" a citizen, I know). After I went through the years and paperwork and became one, then would I be able to use an ancestry visa?

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: So, would this work?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 05:32:11 AM »
Most commonwealth countries have similiar rules and regulations as far is immigration as does the UK, so I am not sure how you would be any better off and you would be picking up tax obligations along the way.  You are much better off trying to find a way to the UK directly if that is your desire.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 08:41:12 AM »
Let's say you married a Canadian and went to live there and then eventually got Canadian citzenship.   Then yes you could apply for an ancestry visa assuming you meet all the other criteria.

Wikipedia has a list of all the Commonwealth nations, not sure about all their individual requirements, but Canada, Australia & New Zealand all have points based systems based on qualifications & work experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations_by_name

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 02:28:58 PM »
Wikipedia has a list of all the Commonwealth nations, not sure about all their individual requirements, but Canada, Australia & New Zealand all have points based systems based on qualifications & work experience.

At least for me Canada, Australia and New Zealand all had similiar qualifications to the HSMP.  They all favour the < 30.  Some parts of Australia are easier then other, because they have regional programmes.  Canada might be a little bit easier then the others for a US person, but again, if you are going to "stragecially" marry a Canadian, you might as well "stragecially" marry a Brit. ;)

It is easy for an American to become a Landed citizen in Canada, but you need a decent amount of personal resources to buy property and live in Canada for several years.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Sponsored Links