Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Very worried- time counting down for spousal visa  (Read 480 times)

• Liked: 0
Very worried- time counting down for spousal visa
« on: May 11, 2006, 07:17:47 AM »
We're moving to the UK in about 5 weeks.  I'm a little worried because I have not applied for my Spouse Visa yet.  We're both over here in the US. The reason I  haven't applied yet is because I am under the impression that we need a document showing that we have an address set up for us to move to in the UK. We're waiting for a rental agreement to come through for a house we put a deposit on a couple weeks ago.  Is it necessary that I wait for this?  I'm starting to get worried that I may not get my visa in time.  ???

Any advice?

• Liked: 8
Re: Very worried- time counting down for spousal visa
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:05:58 AM »
You'll need to show you have somewhere to live, whether that's in your own place, with friends/family, etc., is down to your individual circumstances.  Any idea on when the rental agreement will be finished?  Are you planning on applying for your visa by post or in person?  If you're applying in person, I wouldn't worry about the timing as it only takes a few hours to go through the process, so you could theoretically receive your rental agreement the day before you apply.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 03:54:41 PM »
We're in Seattle, and I think the closest place is somewhere in CA.  I had planned on applying by post, but am now thinking about looking up flights for applying in person. How far in advance do you think I'd have to call to get an appointment in person?

We spoke with the rental agency this morning. Because we're using my in-laws up in Scotland as guarantors, there's some delay with because they just found out they have to prove they own their property up there, as Scotland and England have different legal systems. 

Once they get that from the in-laws, I think they will email the agreement. I'm not sure if then I can use that, or if then I have to print it out, sign it, mail it back, then wait for their signed copy. Do you think I need to wait for their signed copy?

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 05:09:59 PM »
Last I knew you could only book appointments up to two weeks in advance. So don't worry yet.

If your in-laws are willing to act as guarantors, perhaps they'd be willing to write you a letter stating that you and your husband are welcome to stay with them if the agreement takes longer than expected or falls through? That would be enough for you to get your visa. They'd just need to state that there's enough room for you and provide a copy of their mortgage or something similar to show that they own the property. That's one idea for you if the agreement doesn't come through in time.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 05:13:36 PM »
Yep, if you're going to apply in person, you'll apply at the LA consulate.  You can book appointments two weeks ahead.  

I don't know about the signed copy -- I would imagine that you'll need to sign it, get it back to the estate/letting agent, and then have the "official" copy sent to you.  I'm sure they could fax the final document to you (or the consulate, if need be).  Probably best to ask the agent about this....

If you've already bought your tickets to the UK and the rental agreement takes much longer, you'll probably need to apply in person as the postal application can take 2-4 weeks (based on people's experiences here - could be quicker, though).  I'd just apply in person because I tend to panic if things aren't definite and I can't stand not knowing anything!   ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 05:14:17 PM »
If your in-laws are willing to act as guarantors, perhaps they'd be willing to write you a letter stating that you and your husband are welcome to stay with them if the agreement takes longer than expected or falls through? That would be enough for you to get your visa. They'd just need to state that there's enough room for you and provide a copy of their mortgage or something similar to show that they own the property. That's one idea for you if the agreement doesn't come through in time.

Excellent idea....would save a lot of headaches!  :)

• Tam
  • Girl Friday

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 09:09:12 PM »
I don't know about the signed copy -- I would imagine that you'll need to sign it, get it back to the estate/letting agent, and then have the "official" copy sent to you.  I'm sure they could fax the final document to you (or the consulate, if need be).  Probably best to ask the agent about this....
We sent in a copy of our tenancy agreement signed by us and also one that was signed by the landlord, (so two copies altogether) as well as a letter sent to us by the estate agent confirming the address and amount to be paid.

This was sufficient for the NY Consulate.

We will be signing the contract 'proper' when we get over there next week.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab