Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Passport delays  (Read 2612 times)

• Liked: 25
UK Passport delays
« on: July 25, 2022, 01:57:12 PM »
Is anyone else here stuck in the backlog of UK passports?

We filed for our child’s first UK passport at the start of May, now 12 weeks on. Regularly chasing this through a variety of methods and trying to do everything I can to get the passport now before we travel to the US in mid August.

However, it seems unlikely as I read more and more stories of apps from this time period seemingly brushed aside when they processed loads of June apps quickly to get the good PR of shorter processing times (baby’s cousin a perfect example - got their June app back in 3 weeks!).

We do have baby’s US passport. The one time I think they’ve ever been more efficient! I know that we can travel TO the US since we have this, however we really should be re-entering the UK on her British passport. But has anyone had experience travelling back in on baby’s US passport while the UK one is still in process?

I feel like I’ve read anecdotally in places that people have done this, gotten taken to the room and slapped on the wrist, but all was fine. But I’d really rather hear that from the UKYankee community if it’s nbd or a major no-go.

When I filed 16 weeks before travel, despite all the stories about backlogs, I never imagined we’d be staring down the possibility of missing our trip. My dad is turning 80, hasn’t been able to fly here to meet the baby, and you really never know when you’ll have the opportunity again.
Leave to Enter (Spouse): 2018-2021
Leave to Remain FLR(M): 2021-2023

Application Type: SET(M)
Priority/Non-Priority: Super Priority
Online Application Submitted: 13 December 2023
Biometrics Appointment: 21 December 2023
Decision Made Email: 21 December 2023 - APPROVED!
BRP Received: 23 December 2023

• Liked: 6112
Re: UK Passport delays
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 02:20:10 PM »
Is anyone else here stuck in the backlog of UK passports?

We filed for our child’s first UK passport at the start of May, now 12 weeks on. Regularly chasing this through a variety of methods and trying to do everything I can to get the passport now before we travel to the US in mid August.

However, it seems unlikely as I read more and more stories of apps from this time period seemingly brushed aside when they processed loads of June apps quickly to get the good PR of shorter processing times (baby’s cousin a perfect example - got their June app back in 3 weeks!).

We do have baby’s US passport. The one time I think they’ve ever been more efficient! I know that we can travel TO the US since we have this, however we really should be re-entering the UK on her British passport. But has anyone had experience travelling back in on baby’s US passport while the UK one is still in process?

I feel like I’ve read anecdotally in places that people have done this, gotten taken to the room and slapped on the wrist, but all was fine. But I’d really rather hear that from the UKYankee community if it’s nbd or a major no-go.

When I filed 16 weeks before travel, despite all the stories about backlogs, I never imagined we’d be staring down the possibility of missing our trip. My dad is turning 80, hasn’t been able to fly here to meet the baby, and you really never know when you’ll have the opportunity again.

The US passport is the important one in this scenario. @jimbocz will be here in a bit to tell you not to worry about the UK re-entry!

• Liked: 4990
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 04:12:44 PM »
First passport is a bit different. You may have difficulty with the airlines. I would bring a copy of the date of application, copy of baby’s birth certificate, and copy of whatever means baby qualifies for citizenship (naturalisation or birth certificate from parent).

Be polite, be calm, explain that you applied 4 months prior. Worst case scenario at immigration, they will stamp your child in as a visitor and you will have to report to the Home Office proving your child is British.

But, some people haven’t been able to get on flights. It is a huge mess. I’d contact your MP if you haven’t already.

• Liked: 25
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 04:49:07 PM »
Thanks @larrabee and @KFdancer!

Literally just heard back from my MP an hour ago, so fingers crossed that does the trick. Also looking at flights to Belfast (our app is there) the day before we travel, just in case. They’re saying not to turn up until 24 hours before travel so attempting that is probably asking to miss our US flights anyway!!

Will plan to carry documentation though if we get nowhere… and start training myself to be calm and polite!!!  ;D I do have to remember it’s not anyone at the border’s fault…
Leave to Enter (Spouse): 2018-2021
Leave to Remain FLR(M): 2021-2023

Application Type: SET(M)
Priority/Non-Priority: Super Priority
Online Application Submitted: 13 December 2023
Biometrics Appointment: 21 December 2023
Decision Made Email: 21 December 2023 - APPROVED!
BRP Received: 23 December 2023

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 05:35:33 PM »
And they will be well aware that there are delays and shouldn’t give you a hard time. It
Thanks @larrabee and @KFdancer!

Literally just heard back from my MP an hour ago, so fingers crossed that does the trick. Also looking at flights to Belfast (our app is there) the day before we travel, just in case. They’re saying not to turn up until 24 hours before travel so attempting that is probably asking to miss our US flights anyway!!

Will plan to carry documentation though if we get nowhere… and start training myself to be calm and polite!!!  ;D I do have to remember it’s not anyone at the border’s fault…

They will be well aware of the delays and I suspect border control won’t be an issue. But best to arm yourself with everything. If nothing else for the ticketing agent who sometimes act like God.

• Liked: 1894
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 08:41:37 AM »
The US passport is the important one in this scenario. @jimbocz will be here in a bit to tell you not to worry about the UK re-entry!

Well spotted Larrabee!  All I can say is what happened to me, about 15 years ago.  We were travelling back from the states and our kids were about 6 and all we had brought were US passports.  The adult passports had Visas, but the kids did not, even though they were EU citizens.  At the time, we got some stern words and that was it.  I wouldn't sweat this too much, especially if you've got the paperwork to prove you are waiting. 

• Liked: 344
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 10:52:00 AM »
It appears to be those who are visa nationals that are having a problem as the airlines won't  board them on flights to the UK. US citizens are on the long list of non-visa nationals, who don't need a visa in advance of travel to visit the UK.

That will all change by 2024 under one of the UK's new laws. One of the many changes under the Nationality and Borders Act 2022 is that like the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, the UK are introducting an Electronic Travel Authorisation. Meaning everyone wishing to travel to the UK (except British citizens and Irish citizens) will need to seek permission in advance of travel. Visitors or those passing through the UK, will need an ETA to board a flight or enter at a port.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nationality-and-borders-bill-electronic-travel-authorisation-factsheet/nationality-and-borders-bill-electronic-travel-authorisation-factsheet

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:21:58 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 11:38:20 AM »
It appears to be those who are visa nationals that are having a problem as the airlines won't  board them on flights to the UK. US citizens are on the long list of non-visa nationals, who don't need a visa in advance of travel to visit the UK.

That will all change by 2024 under one of the UK's new laws. One of the many changes under the Nationality and Borders Act 2022 is that like the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, the UK are introducting an Electronic Travel Authorisation. Meaning everyone wishing to travel to the UK (except British citizens and Irish citizens) will need to seek permission in advance of travel. Visitors or those passing through the UK, will need an ETA to board a flight or enter at a port.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nationality-and-borders-bill-electronic-travel-authorisation-factsheet/nationality-and-borders-bill-electronic-travel-authorisation-factsheet

Being a USC living in the UK, I cannot check in online for my UK flights as the staff at the check in counter must see either my visa or UK passport to allow me to travel without a return flight booked.  Even though the USA to UK leg *is* my return flight.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 07:38:12 PM »
Being a USC living in the UK, I cannot check in online for my UK flights as the staff at the check in counter must see either my visa or UK passport to allow me to travel without a return flight booked.  Even though the USA to UK leg *is* my return flight.

Getting jumpy about the fines they receive? The new ETA should make it easier for them. Besides, the UK stopped US citizens from being able to claim asylum in the UK, so that it is now an outright no if tried. EU citizens are also being added to the list of not being able to claim asylum in the UK.

I wonder is airport staff are aware there are 6 different types of British nationality and that most of those are subject to immigration control in the UK? https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 07:49:25 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 08:16:34 PM »
Getting jumpy about the fines they receive? The new ETA should make it easier for them. Besides, the UK stopped US citizens from being able to claim asylum in the UK, so that it is now an outright no if tried. EU citizens are also being added to the list of not being able to claim asylum in the UK.

I wonder is airport staff are aware there are 6 different types of British nationality and that most of those are subject to immigration control in the UK? https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality

Not jumpy about fines.  Jumpy about you incorrectly stating that only non-visa nationals (USA) won’t have an issue.  Wish that was led to advice but immigration will send anyone back - as they should!

Travelling with a baby is stressful. I prefer to give accurate information so new mothers are prepared.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 11:16:43 AM »
Not jumpy about fines.

Why would you be? It's the airlines who get the fines.

Jumpy about you incorrectly stating that only non-visa nationals (USA) won’t have an issue.  Wish that was led to advice but immigration will send anyone back - as they should!

Although your country requires you to enter and leave on a US passport, the UK does not require that, but it makes it much easier if you have your British (citizen) passport to enter the UK. A British (citizen) cannot not be refused entry to the UK and if you can prove you are a British citizen, then that will take time to check and the Border Agents will not be happy. If the airline lets us on, then we can arrive at the UK border and state our case with the proof that we are a British (citizen). If the airlines don't allow you to board, then you can't get to the UK border.

Travelling with a baby is stressful. I prefer to give accurate information so new mothers are prepared

Yet you advised somebody on here wanting to move to the UK with their US born baby, that their baby was born British as the father had ILR and that child did not need a visa. When their baby was not born a British citizen and that baby did need a visa to move to the UK.

Only an idiot would think that there would not be delays at the border if you don't enter with your British (citizen) passport and ms1967 clearly isn't an idiot.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 11:24:20 AM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab