Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cleaning Products  (Read 1843 times)

• Liked: 0
Cleaning Products
« on: June 20, 2004, 06:29:52 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good cleaning product for a glass shower door? Something that will make it sparkle AND get rid of water drops/limescale? I've tried using viacal (limescale remover) and then window cleaner but it doesn't work. Window cleaner on its own doesn't get rid of the water spots. Any suggestions?

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Cleaning Products
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 08:28:47 PM »
I think in the US we call it hard water... In her Us version of her book, the 'Queen of Clean suggests:

1 pint rubbing alcohol
2 tbsp clear amonia
2 tbsp dishwashing liquid

Apply with nylon covered sponge, rinse, buff dry.

I think there's a UK version that may address limescale more specifically.

Have you tried any of the commercial limescale removers and then window cleaner? Lakeland has some www.lakeland.co.uk
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 10:22:14 PM »
Thanks, I didn't think to try Lakeland Ltd but I'll have a look!

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 10:45:06 PM »
I saw a show the other day, and they used a similar mixture, but with white vinegar instead of the amonia.  Sounded smelly, but I was thinking of trying it myself.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 10:46:23 PM »
I have really good luck with Mr Muscle bathroom cleaner, sprays on foamy white.
But, between cleans, I squeegy the glass door after each shower. I also wipe off the metal bits in the shower with my towel as I dry myself off. (I'm a little more religious than others in this house about sqeegying especially a bit at the bottom...and you can really tell the difference how this one ounce of prevention really saves having to clean the glass all the time.)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 10:50:34 PM »
But, between cleans, I squeegy the glass door after each shower. I also wipe off the metal bits in the shower with my towel as I dry myself off. (I'm a little more religious than others in this house about sqeegying especially a bit at the bottom...and you can really tell the difference how this one ounce of prevention really saves having to clean the glass all the time.)

Oh good lord, LisaE.  I cannot imagine getting anyone in this house (including myself) to squeegie after every shower.   :o ::) ;)  Did you go out and buy a special shower squeegie?   :)

*I want to be LisaE when I grow up.   

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Murakami Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 10:51:32 PM »
She is just channeling 'Monica' again,,,LOL

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 10:52:09 PM »
lol

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 10:55:25 PM »
We have had a bit of a limescale issue around our shower lately and I have found good ole Tesco bathroom spray works well if you leave it at least 10 minutes before wiping it off. Apparently a solution of 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water also works well, although I haven't tried it myself.

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 11:00:39 PM »
;D  I'm Monica.
It's a shower squeegy from the States! Has a little suction cup holder and everything! How can you not use something so cute?

I haven't had luck with vinegar.  :-\\\\
Then again, it could be I was really desperate and could only find the malt vinegar to use.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Murakami Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 11:04:05 PM »
The solution I heard about was a mixture of white vinegar, with rubbing alcohol, washing up liquid, and water. She didn't give specific amounts of each to use tho. On the telly, the cleaning person just poured all those things together in a big bowl. Am curious to try it on glass tho.

Here's another problem I have tho,, I have tossed two kettles now because I can't work out how to get rid of the limescale build up in them. Once I start to see it in there, I just get grossed out and 'out' it goes. But surely there must be a better way?

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 11:47:57 PM »
I know what you mean about the limescale in the kettles. Just the thought of drinking that stuff is gross. We use a coffee maker for our biz. When the one went kaput, we bought another just like it because we liked it so much. This second one, remarkably, has lasted twice as long as the first. The difference: we use different water. The first one we used just ordinary tap. This second one we only use bottled water (Culligan delivers, comes out of a cooler). No limescale. Machine hums.

It's not a cheap option...when you consider tap is free, but you can also use filtered water (like a Britta filter). That'll cut down on limescale. Keep kettles longer.  ;D  Yuck factor lower.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 09:17:22 AM »
Can't you buy packets of stuff you pour in the kettle and boil with it to get rid of limescale?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 01:54:42 PM »
White vinegar boiled in the kettle...with a bit of water but to be honest I don't put much.  Let it set for a few hours....rinse repeat if necessary.  ;D  Works great for coffee pots too.

No more lime scale, no chemicals needed.  You can also scrub lightly with baking soda once you have poured out the vinegar.

Do make sure to run a few cycles after or you will have a nasty taste!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 01:56:40 PM »
I use vinegar too as well as lemons.  I personally like the lemons more because it doesn't stink as much, but the vinegar seems to work better on heavily coated kettles.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

Sponsored Links