Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I am allowed to work! - aren't I????  (Read 508 times)

• Liked: 0
I am allowed to work! - aren't I????
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »
I am becoming somewhat paranoid of what the various requirments are here in the UK.

Here is my situation that I  would like to confirm my understanding.

My wife was granted a Tier 2 work permit on the Points Based System.  My UK Entry Clearance reads in part - Multiple entries; Tier 2 partner; No as a doctor in training.

My current plans are to work as a self employed consultant/contractor.

Based on my understanding of the information that is available in the Border & Immigration  Agency Comprehensive Guide I believe I don't need to do anything else to be self employed work. 

• Liked: 4
Re: I am allowed to work! - aren't I????
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:56:56 PM »
Yes, you can work.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
Currently Tier 2 dependants are allowed to work.
Working and conditions
This page explains what work dependants of skilled worker (Tier 2 General) applicants of the points-based system to work in the United Kingdom can do.

What work your dependants can do
Your dependants are allowed to work, though your dependant cannot work as a doctor in training.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 01:03:03 AM »
You do need to also register as self-employed with HMRC -- this will set up your national insurance and taxes that you have to pay.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:58:57 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advise.

Looks like the first step is to obtain a National Insurance #.  Anyone know how painful and long this process is?

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advise.
Looks like the first step is to obtain a National Insurance #.  Anyone know how painful and long this process is?
It's not painful and it's not a long process at all. Call the Job Centre and request an application packet: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/BeginnersGuideToTax/DG_4015904
To apply for a National Insurance number you will need to telephone the Jobcentre plus National Insurance allocation service helpline on 0845 600 0643.
You'll get the number in about 2 weeks and then the actual card in about 6 weeks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:20:21 AM by WebyJ »

Sponsored Links