Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Major changes in UK immigration??  (Read 556 times)

• Liked: 0
Major changes in UK immigration??
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »
Do any of you know if there are suppose to be any anytime soon?  I can't apply for my visa until like Febuary of next year. I'm a bit worried that it might get harder and if you guys know of anything I just might have to do it sooner.
Thanks
sorry for posting agian but didn't think anyone would read my previous question.
Met on line March 2000
Met in person July 2000
Visited back and forth for 7 years
Married July 2007

Re: Major changes in UK immigration??
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:08:32 PM »
I guess I should add what visa I'll be applying for, spousal for me and family for my daughter which I am still worried about and can't seem to get a 100% correct answer from anyone
Met on line March 2000
Met in person July 2000
Visited back and forth for 7 years
Married July 2007

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:33:17 PM »
One can never be totally certain. However between now and next Spring, no changes to Spouse visas or Child Settlement visas are expected.

When are you hoping to move to the UK?
John

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:32:40 PM »
The only change I can think of is one we've known about for a while -  the way you would apply for permanent residence/citizenship as the BCI bill will be going into effect before you'd be eligible for ILR, and as far as we know, ILR will be going away after July 2011.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
Yep,correct,2011 when the big changes will happen

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »
The only change I can think of is one we've known about for a while -  the way you would apply for permanent residence/citizenship as the BCI bill will be going into effect before you'd be eligible for ILR, and as far as we know, ILR will be going away after July 2011.

So does this mean as an ILR holder for the past 10 years, I have to apply for citizenship? What if I don't?

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
So does this mean as an ILR holder for the past 10 years, I have to apply for citizenship? What if I don't?

You actually have until July 2013 to apply for citizenship under the current rules as an ILR holder. Nothing will change for you if you don't want to become a citizen (as far as we can tell).

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »
So existing ILR holders don't have to become citizens if they don't want to?

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 07:36:54 PM »
So existing ILR holders don't have to become citizens if they don't want to?

Nope...it's those that fall into the Probationary Citizenship line in July 2011 who will have to prove good cause as to why they cannot naturalize before they can be allowed to stay under permanent residence like ILR holders can now and if they cannot then they may be asked to leave. I believe that is where the idea of naturalize or get out came from and I don't see how a US Citizen could prove good cause as the US does not prohibit Dual Citizenship.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »
There's a good possibility that ILR holders who do not switch will not be able to access the public coffers, such as health care and what-not.  This all remains to be hammered out...

• Liked: 10
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 12:28:49 AM »
And there might be other procedural techniques that the UK gov't might try to push the current longterm ILR-holders out of that status into citizenship. Right now, if you have ILR you don't have to renew it or whatever. You can access benefits or travel in and out of the country using your current passport and your previous, expired passport with the ILR stamp in it if you wanted to.

The UK gov't could force a renewal regime on ILR holders. I don't know, maybe even introduce certain tests upon renewal as well. They might say you have to renew the status or the proof of that status every two, five or ten years or when your current passport expires. I don't know. Pure speculation. But it has been done before. Proof of right of abode, for instance, used to be permanent. But a couple of years ago, the proof of the status (not the status itself, in this case) became limited to the validity of your passport. Now you have to renew the proof of RoA when your passport expires for a hefty fee. There might be precedent in that for ILR. Just a thought.

Edited to correct word error.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:17:49 AM by london_lad »

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 02:29:01 AM »
And just tacking on to London Lad's completely accurate post...

citizenship will most likely be in the points-based framework...

In today's regime, the applicant fills out a form and pays the fee.  In the grand scheme of things, the applicant will also have to accrue the required number of points in order to qualify to apply.  It's going to get a lot tougher.

There's a consultation notice in the advocacy board about it.  

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab