Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need help marrying in UK  (Read 332 times)

• Liked: 0
Need help marrying in UK
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:48:54 PM »
I am a US citizen living in the US, my fiance is an English citizen who lives in London. We want to get married over there (england) then eventually both live here (the US). Our plan is to get married there then start the I-130 bring my relative to the US with a green card thing. We need help figuring out exactly where to start to get our marriage license, what visa i need to go over there to get married, and any other useful info on marrying a foreigner! thanks so much!
~Taylor

• Liked: 4
Re: Need help marrying in UK
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:53:03 PM »
It's a lot easier to get married in the US, as your fiance can come over as a visitor and do it. 

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
i was actually told by a lawyer that if he was here on his passport visa waiver and we got married its considered visa fraud. So she said this was much less complicated and dangerous lol.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:03:02 PM »
If I understand correctly, you and you fiance would like to marry in the UK and then you will return to the US while he remains here and waits for his US spouse visa? Or do you intend to remain here with him until his US visa comes through?

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:22 PM »
i was actually told by a lawyer that if he was here on his passport visa waiver and we got married its considered visa fraud. So she said this was much less complicated and dangerous lol.

I don't believe that is true - it's been done by many people on here.  I would ask the lawyer to point out how exactly this is visa fraud.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:07:38 PM »
We will marry in the UK. i will come back to the US bc i have school and apply for the green card for him. Then in abt 8 months (i was told) he will move here with his green card.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
In fact, people have even told the officers at immigration control that they are visiting the US specifically to get married and have been let in. 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 10:22:01 PM »
He is wanting to stay in the US though, Geeta, and I don't think the US allows people to switch to spouse status from visitor status.

Anyway to get married here and then leave again, you need a marriage visitor visa:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors#9248746

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »
But I thought he wasn't planning to stay in the US immediately after the marriage?  I suppose it's six of one, half dozen of another, but considering you don't have to pay for a visa to get married in the US, and you do in the UK, I would think it makes more sense to marry in the US.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:06:48 PM »

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »
I agree with Geeta.  Why not marry in the US on visa waiver, have your husband return to the UK and you start the process to bring him to the US.  Saves you the cost and bother of a visa application. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 01:08:55 AM »
You're paying for a plane ticket either way, so why not save yourself the cost of the visa and do it in the US?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab