Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brexit vote delayed?  (Read 3436 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Brexit vote delayed?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »
product safety standards that do not have a rational basis is actual or reasonable consumer protection

Silly irrational product safety measures. Caveat emptor?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 08:46:48 PM »
Scotland's going to separate anyway. It's just a matter of time.   ;)
It’s economically a bad deal for them, but I always support self determination. Same for NI. Same for Puerto Rico too for that matter. Or California or Texas or Alaska if they want to leave. People should always have the right to decide and control their own fate and what group they want to be associated or not associated with in their own rational self interests. But there’s a very big difference between they decide for themselves and it is dictated from outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 08:50:46 PM »
Silly irrational product safety measures. Caveat emptor?
As if America, Canada, Australia, etc... are some how Neanderthals living in the stone ages trying to feed each other their own poop laced with rat poison & but for the EU it’d be the same there too.

• Liked: 681
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 08:53:00 PM »
It’s economically a bad deal for them, but I always support self determination. Same for NI. Same for Puerto Rico too for that matter. Or California or Texas or Alaska if they want to leave. People should always have the right to decide and control their own fate and what group they want to be associated or not associated with in their own rational self interests. But there’s a very big difference between they decide for themselves and it is dictated from outside.

It'd be a rough road, for sure. And I'm not sure that a lot of people really understand the financial repercussions. But there's a lot of unhappiness here, and anger aimed south, so I do think it's only a matter of time. Hopefully taking back control of the oilfield profits would help them a bit. (?)

As to Brexit, there's an interesting analysis by CNN here  https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/11/uk/brexit-latest-analysis-intl-gbr/index.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 08:56:17 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 09:05:29 PM »
It'd be a rough road, for sure. And I'm not sure that a lot of people really understand the financial repercussions. But there's a lot of unhappiness here, and anger aimed south, so I do think it's only a matter of time. Hopefully taking back control of the oilfield profits would help them a bit.
I agree. I think a lot of that is conveniently MIS-aimed south, with gas of history and nationalistic pride thrown on the irrational flames, for the political gain and personal power of a few. I think you’re probably correct that at some point they would separate, and I think in 10-20 years they’ll profoundly regret that irreversible decision.

The oilfields are a red herring. Oil is down and never coming back up but for artificial market manipulation. There is so much capacity in storage (including capped in the ground) that it could supply global needs for 100 years without further exploration or drilling. Shell is moving out of Nigeria. I just hired people they let go. Upstream is limping along and basically dead below 50 for WTI. A mature offshore Brent field isn’t the lifeblood some might hope it to be. If it were, they wouldn’t be turning over the keys, would they? Then of course there’s whatever limited lifecycle oil has left. You already see opec essentially powerless as the US & Russia race to get in their blows before it’s done, and just lost a member. Venezuela in a mess with prices what they are and unable to control their fate with oil.

It’s just a lack of information by anyone thinking that’ll help Scotland in any strategic way.

• Liked: 1894
Brexit vote delayed?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 08:18:37 AM »
As if America, Canada, Australia, etc... are some how Neanderthals living in the stone ages trying to feed each other their own poop laced with rat poison & but for the EU it’d be the same there too.

Why yes, the invisible hand of the market you worship would happily feed us sawdust and rat poison if they could.  In fact, they did through much of history. Read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair if I remember my high school literature properly.

Ever heard of chlorinated chicken?  Of course you have and so have all of us, so your argument based on ridicule doesn't work.

The main problem with your argument is, as usual, that you are arguing based on things you've heard from Rush Limbaugh, and we know the truth because we experience it.  The EU stopped companies from forcing employees to work too many hours, stopped us from getting rip off by mobile phone companies, etc.  Hardly the work of tyranny.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:22:13 AM by jimbocz »

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 09:43:59 AM »
Ammonia-treated Pink Slime (aka Finely Textured Meat byproduct), the taste of America!

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 681
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 10:08:58 AM »
 [smiley=puke.gif]

• Liked: 6112
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 11:25:57 AM »
Ammonia-treated Pink Slime (aka Finely Textured Meat byproduct), the taste of America!

Wish I wasn't eating when I read that!

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 11:43:56 AM »
Why yes, the invisible hand of the market you worship would happily feed us sawdust and rat poison if they could.  In fact, they did through much of history. Read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair if I remember my high school literature properly.

Ever heard of chlorinated chicken?  Of course you have and so have all of us, so your argument based on ridicule doesn't work.

The main problem with your argument is, as usual, that you are arguing based on things you've heard from Rush Limbaugh, and we know the truth because we experience it.  The EU stopped companies from forcing employees to work too many hours, stopped us from getting rip off by mobile phone companies, etc.  Hardly the work of tyranny.
You assume I listen to rush or take arguments from places like that, rather than an actual degree in development economics including global food safety. You are talking about science you don’t understand and perpetuating fearmongering crap along with an absolutely false narrative of European superiority... because it justifies EU protectionism by lying to people. Even though it most punished the poor.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
Pink slime is good for the poor?

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 11:47:51 AM »
Sounds like leadership vote coming. Telegraph is convinced anyway. Other sources seem to think it’s not certain yet.

DUP still in the wings ready to bring down the govt to prevent backstop.

Stories saying EU leaders think second referendum more likely than no deal. I think they’re wrong, as they have been repeatedly, but we’ll see.

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 12:05:46 PM »
Pink slime is good for the poor?
It’s low fat beef that’s had the bacteria killed off safely with ammonia gas, none of which remains in the beef. And it’s slime cause it’s been spun around in a centrifuge prior to being treated. Nothing about the slime has any chemicals at all involved. And it’s still widely included in ground beef in the EU too. They only ban the ammonia process. Not centrifuged trimmings and not treatment with artificial citric acid.

Yes, scientifically sound safe processes that stretch out beef with more beef and therefore lower the price of beef to be more accessible to the poor is a good thing. If you want your fresh ground high fat mince from the butcher for double the price (and it is good) then you should be free to pay a premium for that. You shouldn’t be saying no one is allowed to eat beef unless it’s the premium stuff you prefer.

Chlorinated chicken... drinking bleach is bad, but killing off bacteria with a quick shot of chlorine that’s then completely cleaned off is good. Oh but it’s scary when you say it to ignorant people isn’t it? They should be a lot more scared of the disgusting stuff left in their chicken by not treating it.

For the life of me, I don’t understand why people think disgusting unclean bad bacteria laden food is somehow better for them. Or that environment destroying less efficient more expensive food is better. If people want to believe that scientifically disproven crap cause they think it tastes better or whatever nonsense, then more power to them. I’m all for the market supplying whatever people demand. But that is no reason to ban completely safe, in fact safer, food that’s healthy and affordable.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »
For the life of me, I don’t understand why people think disgusting unclean bad bacteria laden food is somehow better for them.

All I know is I keep my unwashed eggs out on my worktop (not in the 'fridge), and I make and drink homemade eggnog and eat fried eggs with runny yolks for breakfast.  I would not do these things in the US.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 958
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
All I know is I keep my unwashed eggs out on my worktop (not in the 'fridge), and I make and drink homemade eggnog and eat fried eggs with runny yolks for breakfast.  I would not do these things in the US.
Yep this. We keep eggs in the fridge out of habit but they are so much safer than eggs in the US. (I always bought direct from farmers in the US but they still had to wash their eggs).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab