Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Excel Budget Calculator?  (Read 992 times)

• Liked: 0
Excel Budget Calculator?
« on: September 12, 2009, 04:08:30 PM »
I know you guys really hate it when someone posts a new topic about something that has already been discussed, but either I don't know how to use the search function properly or it just doesn't bring up all the past threads!  I KNOW I saw this here less than six months ago.  It was a budget calculator to download and use in Microsoft Excel - a member designed it and posted a link for everyone to use.  You just plug in your numbers and it automatically calculates how much you have left over per week - it was amazing!  Now I can't find it, under "budget calculator", "budget spreadsheet", "excel budget" or any other combination of words I put in.  Does anyone know where I can find this indispensable tool?

Also, regarding budgets, am I right in thinking that we calculate only rent and bills, nothing else?  I mean, do we include food, transportation, clothing, etc., or just rent, council tax. utilities, phones, internet.  (We dont have a car or cable.)

Thanks guys
xx
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL
27 Oct 2006 - Married in US
23 Sep 2009 - Spouse and dependent visas issued
30 Sep 2009 - Arrived in the UK!
20 Oct 2011 - Sent ILR application
12 Jan 2012 - Discretionary Limited Leave to Remain issued

Re: Excel Budget Calculator?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »
Hiya - it's on my site, here:

http://www.englishrosedesign.com/uky/

There are three separate files, ranging from very simple (for childless couples with few financial commitments) to rather complex (for couples dealing with things like school fees, lessons, etc as well as mortgages and the like).

The simple budget sheet is set up to calculate fixed expenses like rent, loan repayments and utilities as a subtotal, then variable costs like food, petrol, etc.  There has been considerable discussion as to whether the oft-quoted "magic amount" (equivalent to the amount of income support made available to a family of the same size) refers to what's left over after the fixed expenses have been met, or after both fixed and variable expenses have been met, or before either fixed or variable expenses have been met; however, I'm afraid I cannot speak with authority on which is correct, so do keep this in mind when working on your budget.  (Speaking from a personal standpoint, I used the detailedbudgetA.xls template to obtain my fiancee visa, FLR and ILR.)

Hope this helps!

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 04:29:21 PM »
Thanks so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks Meg for creating this spreadsheet, it is so handy!

We are a couple with one child and few financial commitments, thank goodness.  My daughter is going to public (or state, or tuition free, you know what I mean! lol) school so no lesson costs, though uniforms will cost - I don't know if that should be included?  I will try and work it out.  Thanks again for the help.
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 04:36:58 PM »
There has been considerable discussion as to whether the oft-quoted "magic amount" (equivalent to the amount of income support made available to a family of the same size) refers to what's left over after the fixed expenses have been met, or after both fixed and variable expenses have been met, or before either fixed or variable expenses have been met;

I have looked at the simple budget spreadsheet, and have to say that I don't think the red wording is in the right place.

That is, it isn't a question of "what's left over after the fixed expenses have been met", but instead what is left after simply deducting housing costs, such as mortgage interest or rent, and Council Tax.

All other expenses, gas, electricity, etc etc, are meant to come out of the "red box amount".
John

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »
Me too.  I think John's got it right.  There is no rule (or no interpretation of any rule) which suggests the couple should have surplus.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:28:14 PM »
The logic is this. As regards the amount in red, that is the amount of monetary benefit support for a family with no other income. But also such a family would get Housing Benefit, which would pay all their rent, and also Council Tax Benefit, which would pay their Council Tax.

Accordingly it follows that the amount of monetary benefit, the figure in red on the spreadsheet, is meant to be sufficient to pay for everything else, gas electricity, water, food, clothes, etc etc.
John

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 11:26:33 PM »
The logic is this. As regards the amount in red, that is the amount of monetary benefit support for a family with no other income. But also such a family would get Housing Benefit, which would pay all their rent, and also Council Tax Benefit, which would pay their Council Tax.

Accordingly it follows that the amount of monetary benefit, the figure in red on the spreadsheet, is meant to be sufficient to pay for everything else, gas electricity, water, food, clothes, etc etc.

This is right.  This is what is.  I hope the 'experts' will take note.  Meg, from an Excel standpoint this is an easy fix, no?

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 02:56:08 AM »
This is right.  This is what is.  I hope the 'experts' will take note.  Meg, from an Excel standpoint this is an easy fix, no?

It is; however, I'm on holiday, so it will have to wait until I'm home again.  In the meantime, (and as I've always encouraged), individuals should feel free to play with the fields and make modifications as befits their situation. 

In my experience, the budget with which I felt most comfortable applying for my various visas was one which showed {income - [ALL fixed expenses (rent, utilities, etc.)] > the "magic number"}, the balance from which I could then subtract my estimated variable expenses (food, etc.) and still obtain a postive number.  YMMV. Obviously, not everyone can satisfy the same requirements, and the templates are just that - templates, to be modified as necessary.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 04:12:57 AM »
I have looked at the simple budget spreadsheet, and have to say that I don't think the red wording is in the right place.

That is, it isn't a question of "what's left over after the fixed expenses have been met", but instead what is left after simply deducting housing costs, such as mortgage interest or rent, and Council Tax.

All other expenses, gas, electricity, etc etc, are meant to come out of the "red box amount".

It may be that it is late, and my head is fried, or it may be that I am ignorant.  I am trying to make sense of this and it isn't computing somehow.  

Am I correct in interpreting this statement as meaning : All I have to deduct from our monthly income is housing costs and council tax, and the leftover must be "the magic number"?  (In our case it is like 155 pounds a week with one child.)  That count be right, sounds too good to be true, and my daddy told me that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!  I mean, that comes to less than 500 pounds a month for us.  That can't possibly be right, is it?  I am not doubting your advice or experience, I am just trying to make sure I heard you correctly!
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 07:00:58 AM »
Salford think about it this way. Does the income coming in cover what you have outgoing each month? It's simple, just take what the housing & council tax is plus £157.06/wk (£100.95/wk couple + £56.11/wk child).

Somewhere back in the annals of UKY someone came up with the idea that the £157.06 was a 'magic number' that had to be left over after all expenses. After going through ALL budgeting posts myself personally I found that point where they started telling everyone this. Unfortunately this is not substantiated by immigration rule, guidance or directives.

But it's true that the greater the income coming in the less finances will be scrutinized by the ECO. So the more the better. The guidance states that
There is no explicit minimum figure for what represents sufficient maintenance
and
If it is more likely than not that the total amount that the applicant and sponsor will have to live on will be below what the income support level would be for a British family of that size, then it may be appropriate to refuse the application on maintenance and accommodation grounds.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 03:03:29 PM »
Thanks Weby, I do understand what you mean.  Do you think I can write income that I will be receiving from a job offer (I have the letter and all) into the budget?  I've done that the first time through and with his income and child support etc we are well on our way.  I just filled out the simple budget as it is.  It just makes sense to me - bills first then play if we have enough.  I have included savings of 50 pounds per week for my daughter's continued transportation to/from the US in the bills section as we will have to have that - it's written into the court order that I will pay for transport.  I guess that without my income we can swing the budget but it will be tight.  I hope they do include mine...I've read before that they do? 
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 03:35:56 PM »
Just so you know including a budget is NOT a requirement and sometimes less is more.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/maintenanceaccommodation#18177479
Have they some idea of the employment which they will be seeking (if not already arranged) or any other way in which they will be able to maintain themselves?

I believe that if you have a guaranteed job offer (signed contract) showing your start date, hours and pay, realistically, you cannot count on that income until a minimum of 1 month after you arrive in the UK. So I would show at least enough in savings to cover that period.

Submit your job information that will show that you're going to be receiving this income, proof of husbands income and proof of your child support. The application will ask what your income is and what your sponsors income is and what your living expenses are and they'll do the maths themselves. Sometimes explaining each tiny thing isn't a good thing. Although you can't list what your future job income is on the actual application, you can write that part into the 'additional information to be considered' at the end of the application.

Given that you have a job waiting, receiving child support (which covers the maintenance for the child) and your husband is working and you're only a family of 3, I would gander a guess that you're not going to have a problem with finances.

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 03:54:41 PM »
Just so you know including a budget is NOT a requirement and sometimes less is more.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/maintenanceaccommodation#18177479
I believe that if you have a guaranteed job offer (signed contract) showing your start date, hours and pay, realistically, you cannot count on that income until a minimum of 1 month after you arrive in the UK. So I would show at least enough in savings to cover that period.

Submit your job information that will show that you're going to be receiving this income, proof of husbands income and proof of your child support. The application will ask what your income is and what your sponsors income is and what your living expenses are and they'll do the maths themselves. Sometimes explaining each tiny thing isn't a good thing. Although you can't list what your future job income is on the actual application, you can write that part into the 'additional information to be considered' at the end of the application.

Given that you have a job waiting, receiving child support (which covers the maintenance for the child) and your husband is working and you're only a family of 3, I would gander a guess that you're not going to have a problem with finances.

Thanks again Weby, this is such a help.  So I'm going to do the budget (if only for my own peace of mind) without my income, but list my income in additional info.  Then they can see that in a month or so after arriving we will be way over the mark. Woo -hoo!
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 04:00:28 PM »
If you insist on doing the actual budge sheets then do one for the initial month and then one for the subsequent months using your income. I honestly think it is unnecessary, but in the end it is always up to the person applying. Good Luck.

Edited to correct my spelling error.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:36:45 PM by WebyJ »

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »
Thanks!
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL