Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Radio suggestions  (Read 1659 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Radio suggestions
« on: August 08, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »
I could probably Google this, but there are so many options that I don't quite know where to begin.

What I'm looking for is a radio that:

1) isn't too big - I want it for the bedside table so not a huge stereo system size thing.
2) has a remote control
3) runs off mains
4) has no lights that stay on or even glow when it's turned off (can't sleep with lights!)

TIA!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 36
Re: Radio suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
Hi,

Just a few things to consider !

If you have wi-fi in your home, and/or have a smartphone which doesn't have unlimited data on the tariff, you could use a free app like Tune In Radio and purchase a 'dock' to mount the smartphone to. Many docks run off the mains, have no lights, have a remote and are quite compact. Another aspect is the latest ones which stream via bluetooth from your mobile phone.

You'll get all the usual radio stations and many thousands more internet radio stations.

Another option if you wish to have a traditional type 'Radio' is to look at a Digital radio for an element of future proofing. Later this year, the government will announce (most likely) a switchover date for all radio services to go Digital. AM/MW, SW and LW transmissions will all cease and FM will have a handful of local radio stations left on it. That may take a couple/few more years to 'actually' happen, but if it is relatively quickly, and not the protracted four years it took for the TV switchover, then plenty of radio's purchased now will become mostly redundant. There's currently plenty of Digital Radio's available and I'm sure theres ones with your criteria too.

Usual places to look apply, high street PC word/Currys, online at places like Dabs.com, Ebuyer.com, Morgan Computers, Amazon etc etc..

Pricing can be from unbranded to budget branded right up to high end and very high quality items :)

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Snaps
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
If you have wi-fi in your home, and/or have a smartphone which doesn't have unlimited data on the tariff, you could use a free app like Tune In Radio and purchase a 'dock' to mount the smartphone to. Many docks run off the mains, have no lights, have a remote and are quite compact. Another aspect is the latest ones which stream via bluetooth from your mobile phone.

You'll get all the usual radio stations and many thousands more internet radio stations.

I hadn't thought about a dock. Excellent idea! But did you mean "which doesn't have unlimited data" or "which does have unlimited data"?

(I don't want thousands of stations. I just want Radio 4!  :) )

• Liked: 36
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:51:23 PM »
Hi Chary,

I meant, If you smartphone doesn't have an unlimited data tariff.... then use your home wi-fi, else you'll run the risk of being billed for data use on your contract/tariff.

However, if you DO have unlimited data, then connect to the radio station you want and choose whichever dock or bluetooth audio speaker you like :)

There's some fantastic radio stations from around the world, give some of them a try! I've never listened to Radio 4 I'm afraid, but I see it's a speech based current affairs and factual type station/programming - which I can listen to for a little while !

I'm wanting 4G data tariffs to become available and I'll probably sell off any old radio's we have and go for audio streaming around the house instead!

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Snaps
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »
I've never listened to Radio 4 I'm afraid, but I see it's a speech based current affairs and factual type station/programming - which I can listen to for a little while !

Um ... it's a little more than that. Plays, stories, poetry, comedy programmes, quizzes, etc. It's brilliant!

Gotcha about the home wifi vs data. I have limited data but we have wifi. Thanks! :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »
Don't forget the Shipping Forecast. ;D

• Snaps
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:11:48 AM »
Don't forget the Shipping Forecast. ;D

I thought that went without saying.  ;)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 08:59:02 PM »
I've got a Roberts Sound 66 and I love it!

Sponsored Links