Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Leg cramps/"charley-horse"---related to low carb induction?  (Read 3097 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi...last night I woke up in agony with a charley horse in my left calf. It would not go away for a few hours (on and off) and still hurts so much today that I didn't dare go to the gym. The only times I have suffered this before has been during my pregnancies. I was wondering if this might be a by-product of low carb (South Beach) induction. Athough, I am eating quite a bit of veggies, so it is not so low carb as much as good carb. It is the only change I can think of that might bring this about. Do any of you know if this could be related? Thanks!

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
Re: Leg cramps/"charley-horse"---related to low carb induction?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 01:51:02 AM »
I do know of a friend who loves the low-carb diet for losing weight...but has complained of leg cramps whenever she is on it for extended periods of time.
Helena

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 02:04:24 AM »
Try to up your potasium intake with a bananna or two a day or a supplement (not sure if that is low carb or not).  Also, quinine (sp?) is a great leg-cramp stopper...found in club soda and the like.  Rather bitter and icky tasting, but beats the heck out of middle of the night cramps!!

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 07:50:18 AM »
Yea, if you are in the induction phase (no fruit), just add a good multi-vitamin with minerals (make sure it has potassium). That should take care of those in no time (worked for me).

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 10:33:27 AM »
Wow, that is scary!!!  Never happened to me, but then I never did the strict induction period like everyone does.  Maybe I should do my own low-carb diet, seeing as I am getting to the 25 lb lost mark.  Maybe not ;D

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 10:45:17 AM »
I've read that those can come on from dehydration as well, so maybe uping your water intake would help too.... With the crazy weather the last couple of days maybe you just needed a bit of extra water in your system?

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 01:05:48 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions. I checked my vitamin/mineral supplement, and there is only 80mg of potassium, 2% of adult daily value. The thing is...bananas are one of the "worse" fruits carb-wise! Before starting on this, I often made a fruit/yoghurt smoothie for my (and twins) breakfast...almost always included a banana!

Dehydration might have been a factor for sure, because I didn't mention that I had gone out to dinner that night...and drank 3 glasses of wine! (Wasn't supposed to drink any alcohol the first two weeks, but hey, I don't get out much!) So, I will have to keep a closer watch on my water intake.

I weighed myself this morning though (day 5 of my monthly so I have been waiting to step on the scale as I retain fluid then anyway) and after 1 1/2 weeks it looks like a 6 pound loss! I know it is mostly water at first, but I hope it gives me the boost I need to lose another 10.

Thanks!

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 01:22:57 AM »
As everyone else has said...up your vitamins.  ;)

Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 10:13:50 AM »
Potassium Potassium Potassium Potassium Potassium!!!!!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 01:42:56 PM »
Dehydration can cause muscle cramps and alcohol is a dehydrator.  Soooo.....increase the amount of water you are drinking.

Also, you may not be getting enough calcium.  A few Tums will stop leg cramps.

While a bananna will give you potasisum, it is a no no for low carb.  Almonds are high in potassium and you can have a few if you are low carbing.

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 08:38:01 PM »
Potassium Potassium Potassium Potassium Potassium!!!!!

and WATER WATER WATER...  ;)  I got leg cramps when on induction, but it always came with a headache...a dehydration headache.  :)
~~ bootlegged, disapproved, excluded, forbidden, hot, illegal, illicit, interdicted, prohibited, proscribed, shut out, smuggled, taboo, unauthorized, unlawful, verboten ~~

Sponsored Links