Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Origianl birth certificate  (Read 475 times)

• Liked: 0
Origianl birth certificate
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »
We are in the process of gathering all our documents together for a spouse visa. We intend to send in my birth cert with a photocopy of my passport. When i got my birth certificate at the the top its 'abbreviated' birth cert and another one with 'extract'. These are the origianls given(my parents, confirmed)         Does anyone know what the origianl birth cert shoud say?      Thanks

Re: Origianl birth certificate
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »
If I remember correctly, you're the British  half of the couple, so talking about a UK birth certificate?

My DH's says across the top - 'Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth'.  It's an original certified copy - the original is, of course, filed away somewhere else (like the GRO?  Not sure.)  This is a 'full' birth certificate...

I also have my mother's certified original British birth certificate tucked away some where.  Don't remember exactly what it says, but it was easy enough to order it from the GRO online (even from the US, which is where I did it from), so if yours doesn't seem to be a 'full' certificate, you'd probably want to order one up if you need to send it in...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:55:10 AM by juliloew »
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »
I agree, that sounds like a short form certificate.  You need the long one, from the Family Records Office.

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »
We are in the process of gathering all our documents together for a spouse visa. We intend to send in my birth cert with a photocopy of my passport. When i got my birth certificate at the the top its 'abbreviated' birth cert and another one with 'extract'. These are the origianls given(my parents, confirmed)         Does anyone know what the origianl birth cert shoud say?      Thanks

There are two forms that my daughter has (mind you these were issued last year when she was registered).

The long form (which lists all the parents details as well) states at the top 'Certified Copy of an Entry' and at the bottom it says 'Certified by me to be a true copy of an entry in a register in my custody' and then it had been signed and dated by the registrar.

The short form (just her details) gives a GAA number at the top right corner and states 'Certificate of Birth' and is cerfitified at the bottom and signed by the registrar.

On both forms they have been printed on special watermarked paper.

When we did my spousal visa we sent in my husbands short form birth certificate with a copy of his passport and had no problems. His short form is different from my daughters because it was issued in Nottinghamshire in 1969 and hers was Derbyshire and his was on a 1/2 sheet of paper and hers is on an entire page.

Best of luck to you...hope this helps.

Edited to add...but if Vicky says to use the long form then I'd go with what she says.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:02:09 AM by WebyJ »

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »
My husband's wasn't the "full" certificate, but they still accepted it for my spousal visa.  It is a very small piece of paper that says "Certificate of Birth" across the top, then has his details typed in and certified at the bottom.  It is on ivory paper in red ink.  I have no idea how much variation there is in birth certificate design based on the year or location of the birth, but you may want to consider the possibility that they don't all look the same.  For what it's worth, my husband was born in Somerset in 1973.   

X-posted with WebyJ
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:05:49 AM by historyenne »
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 11:04:15 AM »
I suppose if you were born in the UK before 1983 it might not matter.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 12:42:05 PM »
Sorry if this is a slight replication of previous questions. I have what i believe to be the original copy of the short form and a what I assume is just a copy of a certified copy of the longer form.

I was born in 1981 would sending both these items be acceptable?

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 12:44:49 PM »
I was born 1982.

Along the top it says: Extract of an entry in a register of births. My parents details are all on it, their occupation at the time. Plus it's signed by the registrar.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 12:47:23 PM »
Frank - Yours appears to be the long form.

Matt - The original short forms should be ok on its own based upon what Vicky said.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab