Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Notifying UK authorities about marrying abroad? And biometrics timeline.  (Read 481 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi all. You were so helpful with my PETS scheme questions earlier, now it's time for questions about moving me (I can't believe after almost two years it's actually time to start thinking about this!).

1. I know that there is now new legislation that a UK national who is marrying abroad needs to notify the Home Office that they are doing so, and to prove that both parties are over the age of 21. Has anyone gone through this process, and if so, when do we need to notify them and with what kind of materials? We are getting married in the US on May 16th, and I will be relocating to the UK as soon as my spousal visa is granted.  I'm not sure how to look up this process on the web, or what it's called.

2. Regarding biometrics timelines--I understand that you must apply for your visa online but cannot submit your documents through the mail until you've had your biometrics appointment, and that you arrange for your biometrics appointment through the online application process. I noticed that it seemed to be about a two week lead time last year, but was wondering if that information is still true. We plan to apply online as soon as I have my passport in my married name (will be sending that off expedited, and are going to go to the courthouse the Monday after the wedding ourselves to get the official certificate, as my county allows it and send it off immediately). I'd just like to know what sort of a timeframe we're looking at regarding turnaround with biometrics (ideally, we'd use a courier service).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:44:49 PM by almariel »

Re: Notifying UK authorities about marrying abroad? And biometrics timeline.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:52:34 PM »
http://www.ukresident.com/forums/indefinite-leave-to-remain-aka-ilr-permanent-residency-settlement-f2410-ilr-application-urgent-help-please-t89891.html

This has not yet started, so no one will have yet been through this process. No actual start date for this has been announced, and hopefully UKBA will give some notice, otherwise they are liable to catch people out who might already be abroad to marry.
John

Re: Notifying UK authorities about marrying abroad? And biometrics timeline.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »
Thanks John! I had heard about this a while ago, so I guess I just assumed that it would have been implemented by now, so my mistake! Unfortunately I can't read your link (says I need to be signed in?) but I appreciate your help!

Sponsored Links