Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 30 days only in the US  (Read 708 times)

• Liked: 0
30 days only in the US
« on: July 31, 2008, 12:14:56 PM »
Before I moved here I was told that I was only allowed to be in the US 30 calendar days in a year or else I would have to pay US tax. Has anybody else ever heard of this?

Does anybody have a good tax accountant?

Brenda

Re: 30 days only in the US
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:20:53 PM »
If you are a U.S. citizen you need to file your taxes every year, even if you live overseas.  Unless you earn over 85,000 U.S. dollars you won't need to pay any tax.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »
I dont know. I just looked at the guidance notes for form 2555 in part 3 the Physical presence test says to qualify you must be 'physically present in a foreign country/countries for 330 days in any 12 month period in a row'.  ???

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:37:54 PM »
You do, but you can apply for an extension so that you meet the test.  I am sure someone will be along to explain it better than I can.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 02:09:34 PM »
You do, but you can apply for an extension so that you meet the test.  I am sure someone will be along to explain it better than I can.

The extension is for the first year you move out of the country, so you don't get penalised if you move in the middle of the year.

The 30-day-rule applies to people who have already been living outside the US for over a year but spend at least 30 days a year in the US, whether visiting friends/relatives, in a second home in the US, etc.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:02:28 PM »
Oh, I see.  I thought the question referred to having to file taxes at all, as opposed to having to pay taxes.  D'oh.  Sorry. 

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 01:17:45 AM »
The extension is for the first year you move out of the country, so you don't get penalised if you move in the middle of the year.

The 30-day-rule applies to people who have already been living outside the US for over a year but spend at least 30 days a year in the US, whether visiting friends/relatives, in a second home in the US, etc.

Hey, can you explain this more? I'm planning to move next August and was wondering how the whole tax thing works the first year. I imagine I'm responsible for the money I'll earn till I leave the US, but what about after? Will they add it to my US salary total to tax?

The whole taxes thing is so complicated and weird. Reading the other thread about everyone's different issues just makes me realize there are so many random small things to consider before I leave!

Thanks!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab