Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Self-employed Brit working in the US on visa waiver program?  (Read 787 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Self-employed Brit working in the US on visa waiver program?
« on: April 24, 2008, 05:41:26 PM »
My husband ( British citizen) and I hopefully will be visiting the US later in the year.

He is a self-employed web designer (based in the UK) and takes his laptop with him to work whenever we go on holiday (so far only to places in the UK).

I have told him that if he arrives in the US on the visa waiver program, and he tells the IO he is going to be doing web design work, he could get bounced.

The State Department website says:
"Nationals of the 27 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program may use VWP if:
The purpose of their stay in the United States is 90 days or less for tourism or business (if in doubt, travelers should check with the nearest Embassy or Consulate to verify that what they plan to do is considered tourism or business"

Which emplies that it is OK to work as long as he will be staying for less than 90 days.

However, it also says:

When does a national of a VWP country need to apply for a visa instead of using the VWP?

"Wants to work or study in the United States, wants to come to the United States for other purposes not allowed on a visitor visa, or intends to immigrate to the United States."

Which implies that it's not OK.

Does anyone know?

And is there a link anywhere on an official website (haven't been able to find one so far) that clearly states this so my husband will believe me, whatever the answer is?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Self-employed Brit working in the US on visa waiver program?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »
I know that if it were the other way around, and it was you coming to the UK as a visitor and wanting to work, then you would be bounced.  You need to work out the difference between 'working' and 'coming for business'...in the UK they have very different definiteions, and I would guess that they do for the US as well.

Disclaimer - I am not licensed to practice US immigration law and my opinion on this matter is simply an opinion, and should not be taken as immigration advice.

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »
Would he believe a letter or email from American Consular Services?

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:19:30 PM »
Yeah, I know it would not work the other way around.

I'll try to find an email address to ask.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab