Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What do they call that (food) in the UK?  (Read 42447 times)

Re: What do they call that (food) in the UK?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 11:45:15 PM »
Pudding  =  Angel Delight (very similar, except its pretty much only cold milk variety)

In the back of my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook (from the states) it lists common product differences for American ingredients (some have already been mentioned, so I omitted):

Sugar (white) is granulated, fine granulated or castor sugar
Powdered Sugar is Icing Sugar
All-purpose flour is enriched, bleached or unbleached white household flour.  AKA plain flour in the UK.
Light-colored corn syrup is golden syrup
Cornstarch is Cornflour
Vanilla or Vanilla extract is Vanilla Essence (shops do sell it as Vanilla extract though you can see it as Essence in some recipes)
Green, red or yellow sweet peppers are capsicums or bell peppers

Others I don't think I've seen mentioned are:
Conflour is Polenta here
Romaine lettuce is Romaine lettuce - that's what I've seen it sold as, but cos lettuce is another proper name of it...
Fig Newton are Fig Rolls here (not quite as soft as Fig Newtons, but still nice & figgy, but with a crunchy biscuit)
Bisquick is Bisquick here   ;)
Relish (pickle) is Gherkin Relish (Branston do a nice one in their Relish range, but it can be a bit tricky to find)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 11:51:30 PM »
Does Angel Delight come in chocolate?

That's been one hurdle I've hard a hard time overcoming: I miss jell-o type pudding snacks and obviously can't locate them here, most likely because I don't know what to look for.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 11:53:30 PM »

Relish (pickle) is Gherkin Relish (Branston do a nice one in their Relish range, but it can be a bit tricky to find)

Sold in Sainsbury's if anyone's interested. Bit too sweet for my taste, but still decent.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 06:33:37 AM »
Fig Newton are Fig Rolls here (not quite as soft as Fig Newtons, but still nice & figgy, but with a crunchy biscuit)

I've always wondered about that one - I've heard of Fig Newton but didn't know if they were the same as what I knew as Fig Rolls :)

Does Angel Delight come in chocolate?

It does - from what I remember of my UK childhood, you can get Angel Delight in Strawberry, Banana, Chocolate and Butterscotch flavours (and there may be more flavours I'm forgetting) :).

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 06:51:32 AM »
Conflour is Polenta here

almost!

polenta is corn meal, not corn flour!  :)

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 07:18:57 AM »
almost!

polenta is corn meal, not corn flour!  :)

Yes, same origin but corn flour is more finely ground than corn meal. MInd you, all the polenta I buy in Britain is a yellow colour, and all of the cornflour I buy is pure white. Why is that?

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 08:47:58 AM »
Yes, same origin but corn flour is more finely ground than corn meal. MInd you, all the polenta I buy in Britain is a yellow colour, and all of the cornflour I buy is pure white. Why is that?

Because corn flour is bleached and processed and corn meal is ground.

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 09:01:23 AM »
Sold in Sainsbury's if anyone's interested. Bit too sweet for my taste, but still decent.

See, I couldn't deal with that one - it's got mint in it.  Just not right...
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 12:33:02 PM »
As for the cloudy lemonade, that is definitely not at all like the Country Time (r) Lemonade I'm used to in the States. 

And to me, Country Time 'Lemonade' really isn't lemonade either - rather powdered drink mix or a bottled soft drink (along the lines of Sunny D) = yuk!  Not like the stuff you make from frozen concentrate in the US, or like making lemonade from scratch.  Lemons are widely available here though!  :D
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 01:19:43 PM »
Donax?
I've never heard of that one.

Indeed!

Vicky

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »
And to me, Country Time 'Lemonade' really isn't lemonade either - rather powdered drink mix or a bottled soft drink (along the lines of Sunny D) = yuk!  Not like the stuff you make from frozen concentrate in the US, or like making lemonade from scratch.  Lemons are widely available here though!  :D

Yep, and homemade lemonade always tastes best.  Though I must admit, I really like the cloudy lemonade here, I like it being fizzy.  I personally much prefer it to Country Time or one of the other ones from the US, as they are always way too sweet for me. And oddly enough, it seems the cheaper the cloudy lemonade is, the better it tastes!  I like the stuff they sell at Aldi and Lidl.  But if I wanted American-style lemonade, I would just make some fresh-squeezed!   ;D

• Blog
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 01:48:30 PM »
I wasn't aware that my post was at all impolite.  If you'll read through the thread, you'll see that I  posted a list, excerpted from the one posted by the OP, amended to show the specific terms that I myself have come across in the more than two years that I've been shopping and cooking in the UK.   I wouldn't have bothered doing so if I didn't think they might help someone.  (Perhaps I should have added that I've yet to see beef stock in a can at a UK grocery store - pouches and jars, yes, but no cans.)
I think it was the way in which I read your post which seemed rude.  Forgive me if that wasn't your intention (which it seems not).  It's one of the many problems with written communication: the reader gets to hear his own intonation to a post, which can throw things off.  I easily found an old thread on another forum which named it brown stock.  To your credit, however, I did check Sainsbury's, Tesco, and Asda online to see what they called it on the shelf and all they had was beef stock.  I also saw the many different brands of bouillon cubes, which I was not aware existed here in the UK (not that I was looking before).
As I'm sure you're already aware, there simply isn't anything like Country Time lemonade here in the UK.  The cloudy lemonade sold under the name "Sicilian lemonade" - in cartons in the refrigerated section, like Country Time, not in 2L bottles - is the closest I've found as yet.  Have you tried it?
I've only had the 2L bottles version of cloudy lemonade and it was not what I thought I would get.  It was ok, but I did find in Tesco a bottle of lemon squash which works well for making lemonade.  I'd make hand-squeezed lemonade, but I go through about 2L a week....that's a lot of lemons and the bottle of squash is under a pound and lasts about a month.  Yes, I do like lemonade (and grew up with Country Time regular and pink lemonade), as well as Arnold Palmers.  I do miss the 1L cans of Arnold Palmer that Arizona Tea made.

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 03:25:07 PM »
If you want Lemonade Lemonade you can buy Fentiman's "Victorian Lemonade".  Fentiman's do a whole range of nice natural sodas.   ;)  You can find them in most delis and some supermarkets carry them.  You'll most definitely find them (along with imported Arizona iced tea) in Julian Graves stores.

On a side note, I've been finding Jones sodas more and more often in smaller delis & sandwich shops!   :)

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »
Do they sell anything similar to oyster crackers in the UK?  I used to snack on them to satisfy starch/salt cravings & would like to find a substitute...preferably something bite-sized.

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 07:58:13 PM »
Yes, I do like lemonade (and grew up with Country Time regular and pink lemonade)

Seriously - check out the Sainsbury's Sicilian stuff.  It's virtually the same thing as Minute Maid - not carbonated , but actual pulpy lemonade, made with lemons and sugar.  It's semi-permanently on sale, 3 for £4 for the 1L containers.

Do they sell anything similar to oyster crackers in the UK?  I used to snack on them to satisfy starch/salt cravings & would like to find a substitute...preferably something bite-sized.

I haven't managed to find anything quite like them, but I'll be looking forward to suggestions! :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab