Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My British passport arrived!  (Read 1367 times)

• Liked: 0
My British passport arrived!
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
It arrived yesterday by courier. Yay! The whole process was much quicker than I expected. I was seriously worried as I stupidly booked a trip to the US for March 22, but only allowed four weeks for my passport to arrive. However, it did not take the stated six weeks that IPS gives on its website. I attribute this to using the post office's Check & Send service.

Here's the timeline:
Sep 2 - Applied for UK citizenship
Dec 10 - Received letter approving citizenship application and invitation to book ceremony
Feb 17 - Citizenship ceremony
Feb 19 - Sent in passport application via Check & Send at post office
Feb 26 - Received supporting documents back (US passport & naturalization certificate) and letter asking to book interview
Feb 27 - Interview (got lucky with a slot available the next day!)
Mar 4 - Passport arrived!

I can't believe that my UK immigration journey has finally come to an end. After so many years spent apart from my DH, then going through the spouse visa/ILR/citizenship process and forking out so much money, it's a wonderful feeling of relief to know that I'm finally done and we'll never have to worry about being separated again. Hooray!

Right, better get started on DH's Greencard app. now.  ::)

Re: My British passport arrived!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 01:26:13 PM »
Yea! Congrats...You've just done what I hope to do in 18 months, Even the part about the DH's greencard...But that's another story...

Congrats again!

• British and Texan (and ape)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »
It arrived yesterday by courier. Yay! The whole process was much quicker than I expected. I was seriously worried as I stupidly booked a trip to the US for March 22, but only allowed four weeks for my passport to arrive. However, it did not take the stated six weeks that IPS gives on its website. I attribute this to using the post office's Check & Send service.

Here's the timeline:
Sep 2 - Applied for UK citizenship
Dec 10 - Received letter approving citizenship application and invitation to book ceremony
Feb 17 - Citizenship ceremony
Feb 19 - Sent in passport application via Check & Send at post office
Feb 26 - Received supporting documents back (US passport & naturalization certificate) and letter asking to book interview
Feb 27 - Interview (got lucky with a slot available the next day!)
Mar 4 - Passport arrived!

I can't believe that my UK immigration journey has finally come to an end. After so many years spent apart from my DH, then going through the spouse visa/ILR/citizenship process and forking out so much money, it's a wonderful feeling of relief to know that I'm finally done and we'll never have to worry about being separated again. Hooray!

Right, better get started on DH's Greencard app. now.  ::)

Congratulations!!!  Thanks for sharing your details with us and it's so great to know your trip to the states wasn't impacted by the timeframe.  Have fun over there!

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:46:25 PM »
Now that's got to be a "top of the world" feeling" Soooo happy for you, girl! Congratulations! [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 02:52:06 PM »
Congratulations on your maroon passport! WOOHOOOOO!!!  ;D

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 03:55:25 PM »
Cheers everyone! To be honest though, I could have been in a real pickle as it wasn't just my passport I was waiting on. I also needed my baby daughter's first UK one, as well as her first US one (which arrived today!). February was a busy month for us. We had my citizenship ceremony on the 17th, then made the trek down to London to register DD's birth. Believe me, I've been biting my nails for the past two weeks waiting for all three of our passport to arrive. Phew.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 04:06:52 PM »
Fantastic news on everything!

I hope your husbands Greencard stuff goes well too. :D

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 04:53:58 PM »
That is wonderful, congratulations!

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 05:22:59 PM »
Congrats!! I just had my citizenship ceremony on Tuesday, so it's good to know what the passport turnarounds are like right now.
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »
Congrats!! I just had my citizenship ceremony on Tuesday, so it's good to know what the passport turnarounds are like right now.

The guy on the passport helpline said they were really slow right now, and it looks like he was right so hopefully you should get your interview fairly quickly. It's pretty easy. I was just asked to confirm things I put in my application like spelling my name, phone number, email address, etc. The only thing I messed up on was my dad's birthplace, but thankfully that didn't matter.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:38:54 PM »
congrats! I wonder if one day I'll become a dual citizen. i can't imagine not having to worry about visas.

• My Flickr page
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 06:12:27 PM »
Congratulations, that's wonderful news!  I'm far from the citizenship step (spousal visa just approved this week), but I do know that great feeling of relief and accomplishment.  Enjoy it! :)
"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?" ~Henry Ward Beecher

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 06:21:53 PM »
Congrats  ;D  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Hope you have a fabulous time while in the States.  ;D  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 11:58:42 PM »
Congratulations  :)
Could you tell me since when you are here in the UK.
I am still in the first step.... I am planning to apply for ILR soon but just want to know for how long I have to wait until get the UK passport ( 3 or 5 years ).

cheers

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 07:15:51 AM »
Congratulations  :)
Could you tell me since when you are here in the UK.
I am still in the first step.... I am planning to apply for ILR soon but just want to know for how long I have to wait until get the UK passport ( 3 or 5 years ).

cheers

That depends on the reason you are in the UK. If you are married to a British citizen, then you only have to have been in the UK for three years (two years spouse visa + one year ILR). If you are here on a work permit, then it takes five years. However, I'm no expert. I'm sure Garry or Vicky or one of the others could give you a better answer. Good luck!

Sponsored Links