Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Not a CLUE where to start!!  (Read 449 times)

• Liked: 0
Not a CLUE where to start!!
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:21:28 AM »
I'm brand new to this, and so here is my story. I hope someone can help me out here.

I graduate college this May and I'm planning on moving to England soon after graduation. My only problem is that I haven’t even gone to the British Embassy yet to see what I can do about getting a visa.

I’ve checked into their website a bit and did my research about visas, but trying to avoid the red tape against working as soon as I move over and the quick wedding option, I want to be able to move over and start working as soon as I can.

My boyfriend is an English citizen, born and raised and obviously still living there. We met while on vacation in Florida and things just fell into place from there. We’ve been together now for about a year and two months. We plan on getting married, but not within the three months required by the fiancé visa.

I really just don’t even know where to begin here. Please help. I will be grateful for any advice at all.

Thanks,
Lindsay

• Liked: 0
Re: Not a CLUE where to start!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 12:45:33 AM »
Okay.  First things first, it is extremely difficult to move to England for a longish period of time (more than 6 months.)  Options include a student visa if you want to go to grad school, a work visa if you happened to be trained in a shortage area (such as nursing, social work or teaching) or you were transferred to the UK by an American company (if you don't fit into either one of those two categories, getting a work permit is pretty much impossible.)  There's also the Highly Skilled Migrant Program, but you have to have a few years of full time work experience at a graduate level before you can qualify for that.  And finally there's marriage to a Brit. That's the simplest and easiest way to move to the UK, so really think about it if it's at all an option for you and your boyfriend- many people have no other options to be with their SO besides marriage.  It sucks if you're not ready to get married yet, but that's just the way it is.  And by the way, the UK fiancee visa allows 6 months for marriage, not 3- it's the US fiance visa that stipulates marriage within 90 days.

Now, you're a student, which means you can get a BUNAC visa to the UK after you graduate.  The BUNAC permit allows you to work, but it only lasts for 6 months.  You also have to enter the UK within six months of being in school- so since you're graduating this spring you have until December 31 to enter the UK with BUNAC or else you're not eligible.  If you have any claim of EU or Commonwealth citizenship, that'll also give you more options, but otherwise, BUNAC for 6 months, student visa, fiancee/marriage visa, or coming over as a visitor (not allowed to work) are pretty much your options.

Hope this helps!
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

Sponsored Links