Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Have work permit but recently made redundant. How long can I stay?  (Read 1478 times)

• Liked: 0
Was recently made redundant.  Given the upcoming holidays, have several trips in and out of the UK for which tickets had already been purchased.  Plan to return to UK in Jan to pack up, and probably leave by end-Jan, early Feb.  Upon entry to Uk, am always asked whether I still work for the company that arranged the work permit.  I will not be working, so when I answer "no", will I be able to re-enter as a tourist/visitor, and how much time would that grant me.   US Citizen.  Thanks for the help

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Have work permit but recently made redundant. How long can I stay?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:31:05 AM »
You will need to be careful here.

When you re-enter the UK you must state that you want to come back as a visitor, even if they do not ask you.  You will need to explain what is happening, make sure that you have a return ticket, and any evidence that you can muster that you will be going back to the US.

You will be granted a six month visa.

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »
Thank you very much for the timely response.  Do I simply declare myself to be a visitor when arriving at immigration upon my return from the holidays, or is there some paperwork that I need to prepare in order to alter my status from work permit holder to visitor. 

How critical is the need for a departure ticket from the UK at the time I arrive in January.  If I have 6 months, I may decide to travel abit prior to heading for home the last time.  What about evidence of movers coming to pack my stuff for shipment to the US -- that would happen by end-Jan as thats when I have to exit the flat anyway.
Thanks again!

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:59:14 PM »
Sorry - just posted and something just occured to me...
Am returning to UK from Berlin 14 Dec, and I already hold a ticket to the US for departure the 17th.  Would I be issued a 6-month visa upon return from Germany on 14 Dec based in part on my 17 Dec departure ticket? 

When I return from the US 5 Jan, if I already hold the 6-month visa, do I need another departing plane ticket in hand for a date in the future?  I prefer not to purchase the plane ticket until my final departure date is more certain, though immigration probably isnt too sympathetic to that...

• Banned

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 01:29:21 PM »
Each time you enter the UK you will be granted a new six month visit visa.  So each time you enter the UK you MUST have a ticket showing when you are leaving.

And the longer you intend to stay, the less likely it will be that they actually let you in.  If you say you intend to stay the full six months, you risk refusal.  It is not plausable that someone who has just been made redundant suring a recession will come to the UK for six months to pack up their stuff and travel.  They will assume that you intend to work, and bounce you.

Vicky

• My blog!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »
Also, though it isn't a hard and fast rule, anyone spending more then 6 months as a visitor in a 12 month period is generally not considered a visitor.  And as Vicky states, they are going to be even more sensitive with you because of your situation and if you try to stretch the rules, you could very easily end up with being refused permission which won't make things any more fun.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 05:24:16 PM »
Nothing useful to add, but I just wanted to say, I'm sorry for your troubles. (Well, maybe that's useful, after all.)

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Hello,

What a nice forum and how sad to have discovered only when I am about to leave. Still...

I am being made redundant on the 31st of March and have trips planned in Europe in April.  The first one on April 1st.

I am moving back to America in the last week of May. I have my goods scheduled to be shipped on the 19th of May. I have terminated our lease to end on the 22nd of May. I have not bought my plane tickets as the exact dates of departure are still uncertain. I have also arranged to move back into our house on the 1st of July as I plan to vacation a bit in the month of June before our goods arrive in our house.

Now, does this make my trip risky? Is showing them evidence of leaving through move details etc. adequate or should I hurry up and plan my return trip date and buy the tickets as well?

Best Regards

• Banned

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »
If you are concerned that you will not be allowed back into the UK after the Europe trips I think you should think about getting an onward ticket to the US.

You can't come back into the UK on the work permit visa, but have to be admitted as a visitor.

Vicky

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »
Wow! What a quick response. Thanks.

Yes, I will be back as a visitor of course (are there any disadvantages to this? My last paycheck and relocation fees for example will come only after the first week of April after I have re-entered as a visitor).

If I dont have a return ticket but have multiple other evidences of our intended departure to the US, would that suffice?

And if I do get my return ticket, will that remove all issues of concern?

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 05:36:54 PM »
Having an onward ticket can be helpful, but it absolutely does not ease all concerns.  If it did, people intending to stay would just purchase onward tickets. 

Consider that the snakeheads will sneak somebody in for 5,000 whereas an onward ticket can be purchased for 300 or less, which is a lot cheaper.

And therefore the guidance informs us that an onward ticket only demonstrates that the person was able to purchase an onward ticket and therefore has the means to return if they want to.

Bottom line is that a ticket can help, but you asked if it removed all issues of concern.  And the answer is no.

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 05:50:39 PM »
Very good points of course!

So what are my choices here? Just not travel at all. Being able to travel a bit around here was the one silver lining in this whole redundancy drama :-(

And the fact of the matter is we are moving back as that's what we always wanted to do.

I can arm myself with the following:

1. Tickets to the USA
2. Lease notice to the agencies
3. Schedule from my movers on the dates they pack us
4. Proof of ownership of home in America and notice to our tenant there to vacate

Anything else? Am I now worrying too much?

Sponsored Links