Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tier 1 vs. Tier 2  (Read 401 times)

• Liked: 0
Tier 1 vs. Tier 2
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:47 PM »
I have a job offer from UK and right now we're about to apply for the work visa. I qualify for Tier 1, but it seems I need to pay 600*3=1800 for myself wife and kid. My employer won't reimburse me for that. Under Tier 2 I'd pay around 600.

My question is this: Is there a major difference (approval rate, dependents being able to work or study, access to public funds, length of stay, cost of extension after initial stay) between Tier 1 and 2. If not, I'd say Tier 1 sucks, and I'd go for Tier 2.

Thanks everybody

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Tier 1 vs. Tier 2
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:02:40 PM »
The only difference is that Tier 2 is tied to your job, so if you lose it and can't get sponsored by another company then you have to leave. 

Vicky

• Liked: 0
Re: Tier 1 vs. Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:54:04 PM »
I faced the same dilemma as you, and ended up choosing Tier 1.  I don't have dependents, though, so the cost was a little more reasonable.  With a Tier 1 you can work outside jobs; there is a provision in Tier 2 policy that says you can do work that is related to your current job and limited in time (I forget the exact wording), but it still made me a bit nervous.  In my line of work, it isn't unusual to do little jobs at other universities and I just didn't want to have to worry about it. Also, with Tier 1 you can choose when you will enter the country (assuming it is no more than three months after you date of application), whereas with Tier 2 you cannot enter until 14 days before your start date.  I wanted to come over early to look for an apartment, etc.  I was also very nervous about the discussion of limiting Tier 2 to shortage occupations (probably unnecessarily nervous, for what it's worth.)  At any rate, those things may not apply to you.

Best of luck with your decision!

Sponsored Links