Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Only a month to go and still some big questions on moving!  (Read 2852 times)

• Social Worker in a Strange Land
  • Liked: 0
Only a month to go and still some big questions on moving!
« on: December 06, 2004, 06:43:48 PM »
Hi all,

I'm getting close and trying to figure some things out for the move over and getting settled....I know some of my questions might be a little redundant given there is so much already posted, but wanted to ask anyways ::)

So here goes:
1) I am worried about what I can take over and what I should take...I've heard only two suitcases and then carry ons.  But then I hear it is easy to pay extra and bring other bags.  I also hear that can be a real pain....what's right?

2) On top of that question...what to bring? I saw the thread on what not to bring....But I wish I had a definitive must pack list. ;D That would make life much easier! I have a lot of books and CD's I want to bring and I'm trying to downsize that (to an Ipod, etc.)....Plus, I am single and a lot of the moving info I have seen here and on other sites relates to families, and bringing furniture, etc. (which I don't plan to do).  I am also trying to figure out whether I should just buy a computer there or try to bring one over?

3) I am starting to fear how to find good housing.  I am coming over through a recruiter so myself and four other girls will be brought over together and set up for initial accommidations, but then we're essentially on our own to find a flat for the two years we will be living here.  I have looked at a lot of estate agent sites but they are not well developed web sites or there are not many places for rent in my area (Dudley Borough, just outside Birmingham).  I will be working in Brierley Hill, so then my next question becomes...How far out from there can I look for a place to live realistically when I will be dependent on public transportation??  Some of the language confuses what exact kind of accomidation I am looking at, too.  I will likely need a furnished apt and those seem hard to find!

My first few posts here have been very helpful! I appreciate everyone on here and there positive feedback!!!! Any feedback on this one would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks,lis
"Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." --Miriam Beard

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Only a month to go and still some big questions on moving!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 07:53:54 PM »
1.  Two suitcases and a carry-on, plus your purse.  It's easy to pay for an extra bag at the ticket counter.  I just said I had a third bag and then when I was done checking in, they sent me down to the end of the counter to pay for the extra bag.  $140 on Virgin from SFO to Heathrow.. I suppose it can depend on your airline and how full your flight is.  If in doubt, call your airline before leaving for the airport.  I had no troubles. 

2.  Bring what would make you feel at home.  I didn't bring furniture either but shipped minimal kitchen supplies, off-season clothing and lots of framed art and pictures of friends and family.  There will be things you'll have to get after you move.  Just take a look around your place and think about what makes it feel like your home.  Those are the things to take.

3.  I don't know what housing is like in Birmingham but in London, a furnished flat is easy to come by.  Just walk into several estate agent's offices and give them your details.  Tell them what you want and how much you can spend.  They'll take you around to as many places as you want to view.  It seems overwhelming at first but really, it's just because it's unknown to you.  Once you get there, you'll figure out which part of town you want to live in, how easy public transit is, etc.  Your estate agent will be able to help you as well.  Some websites are better than others so it's better to just walk into a place. They seem to take you more seriously when you're there in the flesh than simply enquiring over the internet.

Good luck and hang in there!  It's an adventure and stressful but so worth it when  you finally arrive.  :)
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 08:08:44 PM »
1) I am worried about what I can take over and what I should take...I've heard only two suitcases and then carry ons.  But then I hear it is easy to pay extra and bring other bags.  I also hear that can be a real pain....what's right?

Pay the extra and take an extra suitcase. That's my advice.... Because keep in mind that there are weight limits on bags, too - and depending on what you bring, it's pretty easy to get up to that weight quite quickly.... I'd also go to Ross or someplace like that and invest in the biggest, lightest weight (and the cheapest usually are the lightest, LOL) suitcases you can find. I picked one up at Mervyn's last week that was only $40.

2) On top of that question...what to bring? I saw the thread on what not to bring....But I wish I had a definitive must pack list. ;D That would make life much easier! I have a lot of books and CD's I want to bring and I'm trying to downsize that (to an Ipod, etc.)....Plus, I am single and a lot of the moving info I have seen here and on other sites relates to families, and bringing furniture, etc. (which I don't plan to do).  I am also trying to figure out whether I should just buy a computer there or try to bring one over?

I'm finally getting around to dealing with my books (well over a year after moving) by sending them in M Bags - go to the post office to get them. It's about $11 for the first 9 pounds and .90 per pound after that or something like that (that's not airmail though, which is more expensive.)

I have a good 800 or so CDs and I'm bringing them over in batches. I bought a few of those big binder things (but not one so big that it wouldn't fit in my carry-on!) and took them out of their cases (figuring I'll ship the cases some day when I ship my furniture) which lightened the load and enabled me to get a good 100 in one go.

If you have a laptop, bring it.

3) I am starting to fear how to find good housing.  I am coming over through a recruiter so myself and four other girls will be brought over together and set up for initial accommidations, but then we're essentially on our own to find a flat for the two years we will be living here.  I have looked at a lot of estate agent sites but they are not well developed web sites or there are not many places for rent in my area (Dudley Borough, just outside Birmingham).  I will be working in Brierley Hill, so then my next question becomes...How far out from there can I look for a place to live realistically when I will be dependent on public transportation??  Some of the language confuses what exact kind of accomidation I am looking at, too.  I will likely need a furnished apt and those seem hard to find!

Kristi is right - register with estate agents once you get here if you intend to live alone. If you want to share, pick up local papers once you get here - most of the truly local ones will have a property section with ads for rentals and shares. As for how far out, if you can find a place within walking distance of a train station, then you can live as far out as your tollerance for commuting will allow! But close to the train also means slightly more expensive, so it might be cheaper to look for something close to where you'll work. Can't help you with the furnished v. unfurnished issue....

Good luck with your move!!!!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 09:56:58 AM »
Hi I'm single and this is what I brought and sent:

Shiteload of clothing because I love clothes.  I packed only two bags and shipped a bunch of them.  I also brought a few things of kitchen stuff, but not too much.  I didn't really pack too many pics but enough to remind myself of home (figured I could continue to bring stuff back from the US as I went back & forth for vacations).  Brought two books worth of cd's and my laptop.  That's it.  Everything else will either come with your flat or you can get it at Argos (my favorite store by the by).

I'm a Londoner so I'm not sure how you'll do with finding a flat but I think the above women gave you good suggestions.  I went to Loot.com as well...but ended up with a flatmate from work.  It made it much cheaper!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 10:02:19 AM »
If you're coming over permanently - and you have BOOKS -- go to the post office and get a "M" bag.  You can ship ALL your books for as little at $30? It's been a few years since I moved so I can't remember -- but what I REGRET is NOT bringing all of my books. I got rid of soooooo many.  The USPS website should have all the gory details.

Good luck with your move

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 10:15:30 AM »
M bags are indeed wonderful--- My daughter had three bag full of books and she was thrilled not to have to part with them! I will say some did get damaged in the shipping but the price was unbeatable! When we picked up the bags here though they were surprised about the deal, and quickly let us know if we ever want to send them back to the states that there isn't anything comparable here-- so only do this if you are planning on staying a long time!! :)

Helena

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 10:35:06 AM »
M bags are great though it took 4 months for me to get my books...I ended up sending them to my job as I didn't know where I'd live when I arrived...

one thought is to book a bed & breakfast sort of deal while looking for a place...or do what one of my friends did and go to a youth hostel (but store your stuff at work so it doesn't get snatched).

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 11:16:49 AM »
Have you seen this:

http://www.britinfo.net/index_Brierly_Hill.htm

I don't know Brierly Hill. Is it in Dudley? If so, my friend lives in Dudley and I would describe it as a pretty cheap place to live with a very mixed population. A bit on the working class side. If you have the money, it would not be impossible to live in the trendier parts of B'ham and commute to your job if that's your thing.

Rental properties online are pretty useless. The market is pretty fast so agencies are finding that as soon as they place something online, it's gone.

And ditto what everyone else has said.

BTW, you might think about actually phoning the estate agencies now to see what they think might be available when you get here. Try yell.co.uk and type in 'letting agencies' and then your desired area. Use the agents. They will give you good info.

Good luck!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 07:47:50 AM »
Get going early on the rental watch, and be prepared to pound as many pavements as you can. An estate agent friend of mine is saying that since everyone is afraid to buy a house now (prices high/expected to drop) everyone is now looking at renting. The supply of good rentals is dwindling fast.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 11:03:39 PM »
Here is a useful resource for you - there are forums as well as ads from private landlords & Letting agencies  and they do seem to keep up-to-date.

http://www.rentamatic.co.uk/results.cfm?beds=All&lands=all&area=birmingham

You will not find many furnished flats these days, part furnished is usually the case ( and can include the fridge, cooker, maybe a dishwasher, kettle etc) - however, it is far more inexpensive to kit out a flat cheaply these days than ever before, someone already mentioned stores like argos (www.argos.co.uk) and there is a booming industry in second hand furniture from charity stores ( I think that's the equivalent of "Goodwill" over there, but forgive me if my memory is faulty).

One thing I would suggest, although you have probably seen it already, is bring your sheets if you have good ones.  Good quality bed linen does not come cheaply in the UK at all ( but your bed is likely to be a "double" here, as most rented flats would not have room for a standard king/queen).

I hope that helps a little, feel free to ask anything you need- I rent from a private landlord, so have a bit of experience with renting!

Good Luck,
Sheril.
Born to shop..............forced to work

Sponsored Links