Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Attendance  (Read 1455 times)

• Liked: 0
Attendance
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:37:05 PM »
First let me say I have been attending my classes! Haha

However, in some of my larger lectures, the attendance roster gets "lost" in the crowd and I don't always get it to check my name. For the first 3 weeks in one lecture, I didn't even know they were passing a roster around, so naturally, I didn't check it.

And here's a funny story, my university had me down as English as a Second Language for my international language status, so I got placed in a class designed to help international students with their academic writing, research, studying in English. I showed up for it the first day, immediately left and went to the international office to change my language to English (sigh). I was told it "wasn't a big deal" and I could just not attend the class.

So my question is: Could this be reported to the UKBA or do they actually "track" my attendance? Is there some sort of warning given before you're slammed with not attending? (I have proof of attending all of my classes, except the odd one when I've gotten sick, in the form of the notes I've taken)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Attendance
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:27:30 AM »
This is just my 2p, but as a former uni lecturer, I found attendance was almost a non-issue at the schools I worked at. For the super big slackers, we gave them some grief, but I was actually frustrated by my lack of power to penalize students who sailed in whenever they wanted to.

Basically, if they made some effort to attend lectures and passed the exams or wrote decent papers, they could do as they pleased.

That said, students who then complained about their grades but had crappy attendance got an earful.

I don't think UKBA has the time or resources to 'track' your attendance. But I believe you need to maintain a certain courseload for your visa to be valid?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:40:53 AM »
Unless things have changed, it is your school's responsibility that if they feel that you are not attending or are 'bogus' to report you to the UKBA. So the UKBA makes them report your attendance to them so as long as you're in good standing, you should be fine.
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:36:53 AM »
I don't think UKBA has the time or resources to 'track' your attendance. But I believe you need to maintain a certain courseload for your visa to be valid?

This is what I thought too. I've been attending my classes, there's just not always a record of it because I don't always remember to check the roster. I've been getting better at it though, always making sure to get the roster from the lecturer after class has ended before I leave.

Thanks, I was getting nervous that I'd just be thrown out without warning! Sounds like the university will alert me if they have any problems with me first.

Sponsored Links